Engine start problems Post issues with engine start here. Does not start, does not run, etc.

2004 rapid clicking but no start. will start when jumped

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
satcheln is an unknown quantity at this point
2004 rapid clicking but no start. will start when jumped

Hi im needing help on an 04 civic 5 speed I've recently acquired. The car runs/drives fine but when you shut it off it will not start unless jumped. The alt. and battery are both putting out 13v. When you try to start you just get a rapid clicking noise coming from the solenoid on the starter. Any help? i thought it could be the starter but its not making sense as to why there isn't an issue when jumped. Thank you
Old 09-27-2018
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
drhawkinz has a spectacular aura aboutdrhawkinz has a spectacular aura about
Re: 2004 rapid clicking but no start. will start when jumped

Originally Posted by satcheln
Hi im needing help on an 04 civic 5 speed I've recently acquired. The car runs/drives fine but when you shut it off it will not start unless jumped. The alt. and battery are both putting out 13v. When you try to start you just get a rapid clicking noise coming from the solenoid on the starter. Any help? i thought it could be the starter but its not making sense as to why there isn't an issue when jumped. Thank you
I had autozone check a starter one time and they made it sound like the starter was bad and was trying to pull amps than the battery was capable of producing. When you jump it I would imagine it has more amps to pull from since 2 batteries are connected together. Therefore it cranks when you jump it but not when it only has the power off the battery.
Old 09-28-2018
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
pjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of light
Re: 2004 rapid clicking but no start. will start when jumped

Originally Posted by satcheln
Check for corrosion between the battery clamp and the terminal. Corrosion will prevent the amps you need from reaching the cable but when you jump the car you are connecting to the outside of the clamp which is corrosion free.