Engine start problems Post issues with engine start here. Does not start, does not run, etc.

Starting issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Liquidmetal is an unknown quantity at this point
Starting issue

I have a 2003 civic LX....
I changed my starter because the old one had went out finally... The new starter has been tested and it works fine. but the car only clicks and doesn't start... I tested to see if I was getting power to both connections on the starter. all is good... After checking all the connections I decided to check the relays under the dash... I noticed that if I unplug one of the relays and plug it back in. the car starts but only once... If I unplug it again and replug it in, it does the same thing starts only once... then all I hear is a buzzing sound if I try to restart the car... it seems like the relay is okay so what is the problem here. any help would be appreciated. Thank you
Old 01-14-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Starting issue

I tested to see if I was getting power to both connections on the starter.
Recheck both of those while someone is trying to crank it.

(It's gotta be broken though, it can't be actually working when you test.)
Old 01-15-2014
Registered!!

I tested the connections while someone was cranking it... it seems to not be the starter... even took it in to get tested and everything looks fine with it...
Old 01-15-2014

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Liquidmetal
I tested the connections while someone was cranking it...
What were the results of the tests?
Was the starter working when you tested?
Old 01-15-2014
Registered!!

the starter was working properly... I'm lost on why plugin and unplugging the relay makes it start right away on the first try of turning the key but then all I get is a buzzing sound out of the dashboard when I try it a second time and doesn't start.
Old 01-15-2014

if I unplug one of the relays and plug it back in.
Any idea which of the 47 different relays this one is?

IDK if that info would help or not.....

all I get is a buzzing sound out of the dashboard
Buzzing relays: There is a common thing with most Hondas, that is when you turn the ignition key too slowly or not far enough it makes relays buzz (when trying to crank the engine).

This noise is usually easily duplicated.
There is actually a bulletin that says to (more or less) tell the customer to turn the key faster and turn it all the way when starting the car.

If you are doing it right, relay buzz is usually due to insufficient voltage supply. But you have to be able to test all sides of the affected relay while the buzz is happening.

If you aren't turning the key fast enough or far enough, the buzz is normal and totally expected.