Engine start problems Post issues with engine start here. Does not start, does not run, etc.

Engine rotates but won't start.

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
juice2002 is an unknown quantity at this point
Engine rotates but won't start.

Hey everyone, this is my first post on this forum. I have been posting on another forum, but it seems that nobody on there really cares to hear about my problems or try and help me think of ways to fix them.

I drive a 02 civic ex. d17a2, 5 speed..
I have done engine work on the car before. I changed the head gasket not that long ago. So I know how to do timing and everything. It's not that hard..

Here is my problem. I installed a stage 1 cam a few days ago. After the install, the car started up right away, and I did a PCM idle learn. I went to test drive my car... and it drove good.. but then all of the sudden it just stalls about 3 minutes later. Car wouldn't even start, and after a whole day towing it back to my house, re-doing the timing, cleaning things and checking different things, i've had no luck.

Apparently it is an electrical problem.. The starter rotates, the battery is consistently reading around 12 volts.. I checked all of my spark plugs and they were perfect. The engine rotates, the valves are opening.. With the fuel system you can tell fuel is getting to the system because when you turn the key to the on position you can hear a little click that means the fuel pump has delivered fuel.. and on the fuel rail the fuel line is completely pressurized.. I've never had a fuel problem before so I am completely sure that is not it. The car stalled instantaneously, what usually causes something like that to happen? Of course I'm still open to suggestions about the fuel system.. I didn't mess with the fuel system at all though. The only thing that changed was the timing of the valves and it screwed something up. I double checked my work, and it was timed correctly, and apparently you don't have to be 100% perfect about it.

I'm stumped guys and I'm without a car, can anyone help me with some suggestions? When I try to start the car, it just sounds like the starter is rotating really quickly. I feel like maybe it is not getting a spark from the plugs, but not related to the condition of the plugs or the coils. Can all 4 coils get screwed up at the same time instantly? I have an extra set and that didn't work. I even went as far as putting the original cam in... I had all day yesterday so I said what the hell lets try it.. didn't work so I put the stage 1 cam back in.. took me about 3 hours just for that (kind of feel stupid now).

I suppose I am just an amateur when it comes to these problems. What other tests can I do to figure this out? I read a thread about testing the spark plugs and seeing what the spark looks like, I am probably going to pick up one of those testers today. There is no CEL, the CKP and CMP sensors are most definitely plugged in..

If anyone here can help me please let me know. I'm just so confused on what's going on.

Thanks.
Old 07-29-2013
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Engine rotates but won't start.

Compression, fuel, spark. Which isn't right?

Make certain the cam/crank/timing belt are all perfectly in time. Some of these won't run if it is a tooth out.

See if the spark plugs are wet with gasoline. Pour a teaspoon of motor oil into each sparkplug hole----if it is flooded, lost compression, and cranking real fast, the oil should help build compression again.
Old 03-16-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bthomas1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Engine rotates but won't start.

I am having a very similar issue only with out an upgraded cam. I have done everything but the oil in the plug hole. It has to be something simple but I can't seem to figure it out if you have any other suggestions please tell!