Engine Post your engine related problems in this section. Engines will cover from Fuel, Engine, Cooling, Exhaust physical related items.

Rad fan turns on too late

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2019
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CMDR Karos is an unknown quantity at this point
Rad fan turns on too late

I just replaced my head gasket for the second time because I kept loosing coolant. Today was a really hot day and I was sitting in drive through and the fan didn't turn on until my temp gauge was at 3/4. It does turn on eventually but I don't like seeing the needle go that high. I have a OBD2 tool that tells me it doesn't go on until my coolant gets to 230-235F. I've taken the connector off the sensor and stuck a wire in it and the fans turn on. For some reason they just turn on really late. I replaced the sensor about a year ago because my fans were not kicking on.

Anyone ever have this problem before? I'm letting the car cool down right now so I can open the radiator cap and see if maybe its low on coolant. I really hope the head gasket didn't go again. I changed the headgasket on saturday and sunday but this week so far I haven't driven that far and today on thursday I sat in drive through and saw it. I also had my A/C running at the time so I don't know if that has anything to do with it.
Old 07-18-2019
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,138 Likes on 952 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all
Re: Rad fan turns on too late

Did you use an OEM sensor?
Old 07-18-2019
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of

Try replacing the radiator cap (Honda genuine only). Is the reservoir gaining coolant?
While you're looking inside the radiator with engine running...rev the engine a note the coolant flow to rule out a water pump issue. Also, get a high temp thermometer and insert it into the radiator neck for a true temp reading.
Old 07-19-2019
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Colin42
Did you use an OEM sensor?
I got the sensor from autozone. i don't remember the brand.
Old 07-19-2019
Registered!!

Originally Posted by HR Puffinblunts
Try replacing the radiator cap (Honda genuine only). Is the reservoir gaining coolant?
While you're looking inside the radiator with engine running...rev the engine a note the coolant flow to rule out a water pump issue. Also, get a high temp thermometer and insert it into the radiator neck for a true temp reading.
The radiator is only 3 months old. The cap came with it. On the coolant line that feeds my heater core I have a filter that is clear and I can see the coolant flowing when i turn the heater on so I think I have water pressure. One thing I did notice was that my thermostat is missing that little brass piece and just has a hole in it.

With the thermometer I'll have to get back with you on that because I don't have one so I'll have to go pick one up.
Old 07-19-2019
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,138 Likes on 952 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by CMDR Karos
I got the sensor from autozone. i don't remember the brand.
so that's a no,
probably needs the proper one