Engine Post your engine related problems in this section. Engines will cover from Fuel, Engine, Cooling, Exhaust physical related items.

98 civic ex won't start after replacing crankshaft sensor!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Prettykiller is an unknown quantity at this point
98 civic ex won't start after replacing crankshaft sensor!!

I'm not the most mechanically savvy guy, but I'm poor, so when my car breaks I try to fix it myself...
The other day my wife was driving on the freeway and as she tells me, the car started smoking (she was late for work driving 90mph), smoke was coming through the vents, so she pulled over and the car wouldn't start after she turned off the engine. When we checked the error codes I got 2 codes for the crankshaft position sensor, so I replaced it along with the timing belt, driver's side axle and break pads... I still have to replace the passenger side axle & am having a really hard time popping it out from the transmission... So if anyone has any tips it would be greatly appreciated.
Herein lies my problem; after the replacement of the crankshaft sensor, the car won't start... I've got the battery hooked up to a charger, so I know it's getting juice... I'm pretty sure the starter is fine because it's bumping pretty good, the fuel system seems to be fine, and the only thing I can think of is that the timing is off... Maybe when I replaced the belt the tensioner messed up the timing? It's the first time I've ever done one... And I didn't see any timing marks on the old belt, or the new one.

The car is a manual transmission 98 Civic EX coupe with the 1.6L V-Tec stock engine. Someone please help!!!
Old 02-16-2013
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light
Re: 98 civic ex won't start after replacing crankshaft sensor!!

Originally Posted by Prettykiller
I've ever done one... And I didn't see any timing marks on the old belt, or the new one.

timing marks are not on the belt, they are on the pulleys.....so that would be the first place to start.....turn the crank to its TDC position, then see if the cam is at TDC....

and why exactly are you replacing the drivers axle?
Old 02-16-2013
Registered!!

The cv joint was bad... The passenger side is going too, thus the replacement.
Old 02-16-2013
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Don't waste coin on the axles if the engine won't run.
Figure that one out first.

Got compression?
Old 02-17-2013
Registered!!

I haven't had a chance to check yet, but when I manually turn the crankshaft I hear a hissing & feel resistance where the pistons would be firing... So that all seems pretty normal.
Old 02-20-2013
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light

Yes, timing marks have nothing to do with the belt and everything to do with the engine.

Take it apart and get yourself a manual on how to set the timing marks the correct way.
Old 02-20-2013
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Prettykiller
I haven't had a chance to check yet, but when I manually turn the crankshaft I hear a hissing & feel resistance where the pistons would be firing... So that all seems pretty normal.
Thats not relevant to the timing marks, just means you have some sort of compression.