Brakes Post your questions about Brakes problems here!

Rear drum brakes won't stay in adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
kkspeed is an unknown quantity at this point
Rear drum brakes won't stay in adjustment

After I installed new brake shoes on the rear of my 99 VP sedan, the rear shoes won't stay in adjustment, so consequently, the brake pedal gets lower as I put miles on the Civic.

First, I installed new brakes shoes and adjusted them so the brake pedal is high and hard.

Second, I adjusted the Emergency Brake to lock after 6 clicks.

The problem is the brake pedal slowly gets lower as I put miles on the car and doesn't keep the same feel.

Eventually, I check the rear brake adjustment and find they are out of proper adjustment by a few clicks on the star wheel. I adjust them and the pedal returns to the regular feel.

Apparently, the automatic adjusters are not working correctly. I rechecked my hardware installation and everything seems correct. I greased the backing plates and the star adjusters so they are not sticking.

Driving the car in reverse and pumping the pedal or pumping the emergency brake handle doesn't correct the problem.

Any hints?

Last edited by kkspeed; 11-24-2010 at 12:28 AM.
Old 11-24-2010
Registered!!

marek91 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Rear drum brakes won't stay in adjustment

i have the same problem ever since i owned my civic rear drivers brake comes out of adjustment and eventually starts making a clicking sound

Last edited by marek91; 11-24-2010 at 12:00 AM. Reason: spelling error
Old 11-24-2010
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Prodresurgence will become famous soon enough

Make sure the self adjuster is riding on the star part of the adjuster rod, it needs to be able to turn the screw as you set the brakes in. I stole a pic from another forum, that part of the adjuster must sit on the star screw.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	drum.jpg
Views:	1903
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	79661  
Old 11-24-2010
Registered!!

marek91 is an unknown quantity at this point

my self adjuster wont reach the screw only way is if i adjust the screw then it will touch but then eventually it will come loose again
Old 11-24-2010
Banned

Originally Posted by marek91
my self adjuster wont reach the screw only way is if i adjust the screw then it will touch but then eventually it will come loose again
then you have the entire adjuster screw backwards.
Old 11-24-2010
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

mine has same problem, altho im still on original parts. have to really press the pedal alot before the car starts to stop. i also have a useless ebrake. ive had shops take a look and tighten stuff back there, but it didnt help. if i pull the ebrake up as far as possible, it barely keeps the car from creeping forward in drive. it would prolly take a mile to stop the car going 25mph if the fronts ever failed. i always thought it should lock the brakes if you pull the handle up.
Old 11-24-2010
Banned

GB, you probably need new drums, hardware, and lube up the self adjuster. That and try adjusting the ebrake under the console and under the wheel well.
The following users liked this post:
John Lalka (07-15-2020)
Old 11-24-2010
Registered!!

kkspeed is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Prodresurgence
Make sure the self adjuster is riding on the star part of the adjuster rod, it needs to be able to turn the screw as you set the brakes in. I stole a pic from another forum, that part of the adjuster must sit on the star screw.
The adjust is riding on the star wheel with tension. I can hear the adjust click as I turn the star wheel to adjust the shoes.

The odd part is the adjusters worked properly on the original set of brake shoes. I checked all the springs and adjusters; everything seems correct and tight.

This problem is going to wear out the front brakes and rotors prematurely.
Old 11-24-2010
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

thanks, i did that but it wouldnt help. i think they are just worn and there is too much gap between shoe and drum. i have some wagner shoes and hardware maybe its time to change. the old ones still have some life left thats why im waiting.

GB, you probably need new drums, hardware, and lube up the self adjuster. That and try adjusting the ebrake under the console and under the wheel well.
Old 11-24-2010
Registered!!

pistol820 is an unknown quantity at this point

You have to adjust the slack adjuster, it is done with a screw driver after the drum is on. Go to the inside of the hub there should be a hole that lets you adjust the brakee until it is tight.
Old 11-24-2010
Premium Member

any pics, i wasnt able to see anything to adjust once the hub is put together.
Old 11-24-2010
Registered!!

It should be on the backside with a plug that can be removed so you can adjust the slack adjuster.

Last edited by pistol820; 11-24-2010 at 05:32 PM.
Old 11-24-2010
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by gearbox
any pics, i wasnt able to see anything to adjust once the hub is put together.
I was curious too. So, I went out to look and this is the only access on the back of the hub. It's towards the front (of the vehicle). It has a little rubber plug in the hole. Good luck seeing in there tho.

Name:  rearbrakeaccess.jpg
Views: 2670
Size:  39.7 KB
Old 11-24-2010
Premium Member

ahh never thought to look in the back lol
Old 12-04-2010
Registered!!

Lazlong thanks for the pic, my camera is not working.
Old 12-04-2010
Premium Member

ive been meaning to do this but have so much other stuff going on with the car now. do i adjust with the car on the ground, or in the air. and what kind of tool does it take?
Old 12-04-2010
Registered!!

lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of

In the air, parking brake off. Flathead screwdriver. Your twisting #17/24: http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/...+BRAKE+%281%29
Old 12-04-2010
Premium Member

ah okay thanks for the help guys! is there a good way to put the rear on jackstands (both sides)? i always have problems with this because if i use a jack on the rear middle hook point, i can never get it up high enough to put stands under each side. and am i turning the adjustment clockwise or counterclockwise?
Old 12-05-2010
Registered!!

I can barely get my jack under the one side when the other is in the air, and I'm not lowered. I guess you could get some of these: http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...p?keyword=ramp Don't know which way to turn, sorry.
Old 07-15-2020
Registered!!

John Lalka is an unknown quantity at this point

I never solved the lack of self adjusting on late 80`s Accords. Many hardware and brake cylinder replacements and pad changes. Normal wear on shoes. But the e brake only worked when I occasionally manually adjusted the star wheel.