Exterior Post your issues with Exterior parts here! Exterior covers Body, Doors, Locks, Physical Removal/install lights, Hoods, fenders, etc. For Fundamentally Electrical issues, post on Electrical

What happens if my sunroof tubes are clogged?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sea Bass is an unknown quantity at this point
What happens if my sunroof tubes are clogged?

I'm referring to the tubes that run from my C pillar down into the rear wheel wells on both the passenger and driver's sides. From the research I've done, these are drain tubes that run from my sunroof to the outside of the car. They are accessible from the trunk.

I ask because water has been leaking into my trunk for a long time. I still don't think I've found the cause but it's not as bad as before. I currently have everything stripped out of my trunk.

The other day I went to inspect a few things and I pulled those drain tubes out of their grommets and inspected them. They are dusty and look like no water has ever flowed through them. Just to be sure I left them sitting inside the trunk and hosed the car down and YEP--no water came out of them.

Are they clogged? How do I unclog them? Could this somehow be the source of my leaky trunk?
Old 04-10-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What happens if my sunroof tubes are clogged?

and hosed the car down and YEP--no water came out of them.
They probably are not clogged. You would have water standing in the roof and soaking the headliner if they were.
Those are only needed for the small amounts of water that seep past the rubber gasket when the roof is closed. Not much will pass on most cars.

If you REALLY want to test them....
Reconnect tubes so drained water will exit to the pavement below.

Raise the front of the car or park on an incline- nose up.
Open the sunroof just enough for the panel to drop down but not slide back.
Pour a gallon jug of water (SLOWLY) down the open rear edge of the sliding panel, into the rain gutter system inside the sunroof opening.
If you do it too fast it will overflow the channels and soak the headliner.

Could this somehow be the source of my leaky trunk?
Doubting it right now.
Old 04-10-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Casey Shovey is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: What happens if my sunroof tubes are clogged?

Originally Posted by ezone
They probably are not clogged. You would have water standing in the roof and soaking the headliner if they were.
Those are only needed for the small amounts of water that seep past the rubber gasket when the roof is closed. Not much will pass on most cars.

If you REALLY want to test them....
Reconnect tubes so drained water will exit to the pavement below.

Raise the front of the car or park on an incline- nose up.
Open the sunroof just enough for the panel to drop down but not slide back.
Pour a gallon jug of water (SLOWLY) down the open rear edge of the sliding panel, into the rain gutter system inside the sunroof opening.
If you do it too fast it will overflow the channels and soak the headliner.

Doubting it right now.
If they were clogged you would be getting water somewhere inside your vehicle,just seen this problem on a maxima