Exterior Post your issues with Exterior parts here! Exterior covers Body, Doors, Locks, Physical Removal/install lights, Hoods, fenders, etc. For Fundamentally Electrical issues, post on Electrical

Water dripping in the trunk ?! [solved]

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2024
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TryllZ is an unknown quantity at this point
Water dripping in the trunk ?! [solved]

I have a 2006 civic saloon, and there is water in the trunk in and around the spare tyre, which I found to forming where ever there is metal inside, and dripping after forming in the trunk's ceiling which is metal as well, due to cold weather, I live in a rural area, and car is parked in open parking.

The car is not used often, and I'm worried about rust which is now visible under the spare tyre.

Any advise on how to find the source of opening, and stop the water from forming in the trunk ceiling, or dripping into the spare tyre area.

Of note is that the water forms on the inner side which tells me there is no water sliding and leaking inside, but because its very cold water forms on the inside from some opening.

These are the openings I have found so far.

Water forming inside the trunk underside

Last edited by TryllZ; 01-10-2024 at 11:37 AM.
Old 01-10-2024
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,131 Likes on 945 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all
re: Water dripping in the trunk ?! [solved]

Get in there with a light and have someone pour water all along the trunk seal and watch for leaks
Old 01-11-2024
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Colin42
Get in there with a light and have someone pour water all along the trunk seal and watch for leaks
I soaked up the water and tried this with a 1.5L water bottle with blue color in it, there was no blue color inside the trunk car
Old 01-11-2024
Super Moderator

Received 1,878 Likes on 1,323 Posts
BrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud of

I couldn't find a leak on a 2007 Civic sedan I had either. Ended up chalking it up to road spray coming in through the vent or the rusty fenders. Sold the car afterwards.

The little flap for the key cylinder in the truck lid was also stuck open. That could have contributed but it's not a very big hole.
Old 01-11-2024
Registered!!

Originally Posted by BrotatoChip
I couldn't find a leak on a 2007 Civic sedan I had either. Ended up chalking it up to road spray coming in through the vent or the rusty fenders. Sold the car afterwards.

The little flap for the key cylinder in the truck lid was also stuck open. That could have contributed but it's not a very big hole.
I'm getting quite close to selling it..
Old 01-11-2024
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,131 Likes on 945 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by TryllZ
I'm getting quite close to selling it..
Get it all dried up and make it someone else's problem
The following users liked this post:
BrotatoChip (01-12-2024)
Old 01-12-2024
Registered!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
David13 is an unknown quantity at this point

Seems like it would be in the seal around the trunk lid. The one time (on a previous car) I had that it was the weld at the seam in the upper corners of the trunk lid which was not completely flat and therefore not allowing the seal to close onto it. I added some silicone sealer and that stopped it.

But that was after I was able to identify the leak as being in that corner.
dc