Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Grinding in 3rd gear

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2003
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SilVic is an unknown quantity at this point
Grinding in 3rd gear

When i rev high in 2nd and shift into 3rd, it grinds. I press the clutch all the way, is it possible it's probably my clutch? My only modification is my exhaust.
Old 06-24-2003
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
flotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to behold
Could be that your 3rd gear syncho is bad..
Old 06-25-2003
Registered!!

How do I replace it and how much would it cost? Does it take a genius to replace? Thank you
Old 06-25-2003
The Man, Myth and Legend

Location: Western Canada, where the beer is cold and the women are HOT!
ZMan2k2 is an unknown quantity at this point
I would recommend taking it to the "stealership" if you're still under warranty. If you're not anymore, ya gotta yank the tranny from the car, and pull the gearset in the tranny and replace the synchros. Not the most fun thing to do. Then ya gotta put it all back together. Definitely, IMO, a job for a pro.
Old 06-25-2003
Registered!!

how much are synchros?
Old 06-25-2003
The Man, Myth and Legend

Dunno exactly. I'd phone a dealership, to get the highest price possible, then phone some part stores and get a more reasonable price. It also depends on whether they sell them separate or as a whole kit. If I had to guess, I'd say in the $200-$250 price range.
Old 06-26-2003
Registered!!

I went to the dealership today and quoted me $600 to take out the tranny and $600 to put it back plus labor! He told me a rep. from Honda would come to confirm that it's only the synchros not from "abuse." I told them forget, they'll just say it's abuse and charge me for the $1200+labor. I might try and keep going like that then have to swap a used tranny from the junkyard or rebuild it. The only thing is that I wouldn't have much knowledge taking apart a transmission. You know it's not an everyday thing.
Old 06-26-2003
Registered!!

7GRev is an unknown quantity at this point
i have the exact same problem... they blamed it on the intake... so i put the stock one back on, but have yet to take it back
Old 06-26-2003
The Man, Myth and Legend

Originally posted by 7GRev
i have the exact same problem... they blamed it on the intake... so i put the stock one back on, but have yet to take it back
Uhhh, did you ask them, "How the hell is my transmission affected by how much air gets into my throttle-body?" Because that sounds to me like a cheesy excuse for them to not cover your warranty work. What's next, your seat rocks because the bushings wore out when you turn up your aftermarket stereo?

Silvic:
I went to the dealership today and quoted me $600 to take out the tranny and $600 to put it back plus labor! He told me a rep. from Honda would come to confirm that it's only the synchros not from "abuse." I told them forget, they'll just say it's abuse and charge me for the $1200+labor.
Dude that sucks. The price sounds about right though. I had a tranny die in an old car of mine, and it was $1700 CAN to fix. The price I quoted before was just for the synchros, and I don't blame you for not wanting to try it on your own. I can see me doing something like that, and screwing up a couple of the clearances and chewing up everything in my tranny. If you do keep driving it, I just hope that it doesn't strand you somewhere and not wanna move. You may wanna consider getting that used tranny a little quicker, and dropping it in before too long.
Old 06-27-2003
Registered!!

Devst8n is an unknown quantity at this point
Okay I have a question about this. How the hell are you "abusing" your tranny? My 1st-2nd gear synchro is screwed up as well and I cant even get them to look at the problem let alone fix it under warranty. I would like to know where it is labelled in owners manual or warranty what abuse really is? The car is designed to shift at any rpm and if there is a damaging speed to shift at why dont they limit the engine rpm or something. I am so sick of seeing commercials where they drive the car racing it through the streets and track, but then claim the same driving voids your warranty. I wonder legally if they can do that or not, because it is their opinion of abuse, not really based on fact. A worn synchro looks the same as a defective one unless you have grinded the gears alot and work the actual detents out.... Its just not right
Old 06-27-2003
Registered!!

2k3HonCivicEX is an unknown quantity at this point
Same problem with mine!

My civic had that problem with only a day and a half of driving on it and i thought it was the synchro but that was nt it, there was a manufacturers defect in my 3rd gear and it was almost completely stripped with none of my fault.

[update]

i went into the dealership and asked my salesman to help me with the prbolem after bitching at the service center for saying its all my fault. the salesman went and had a word with the service people. after my car was in the shop for 4 days i called and said what the hell is wrong, they told me they didnt know yet and the tech was still disassembling my tranny. i got pissed and asked for the general manager of the dealership. i clearly explained to him that the problem was not caused by me, but by the manufacturer and he said that, regardless what they have to do, my car would be ready the next day. sure enough it is. If u have a problem and the dealer wont fix it, call honda corporate office and ask for the customer service general manager, if u bitch at him, you'll get what u want.

Last edited by 2k3HonCivicEX; 06-27-2003 at 11:12 PM.
Old 06-28-2003
Registered!!

The was traded in for a new Si. WOO HOO! But I also read on another forum for the new Si's that they're having some trouble with the synchros too. Maybe we should get Honda to do a recall on all the civics. I think our tranny's are defective.
Old 06-28-2003
All Eyes On Z

SlammedBlueEM2 is on a distinguished road
Just use a better transmission fluid for faster, slicker shifting. I.E. Redline.
Old 06-28-2003
Registered!!

armageddon is an unknown quantity at this point
I had my trans. fixed for the same problem. There is a TSP on this somewhere!