Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Has anyone heard of a "purge control valve"??

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2003
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RoCkY_civic01 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Has anyone heard of a "purge control valve"??

Hi everyone. I've taken my car into Honda three times to get the same problem fixed. the First time they replaced the gas cap and the second time they replaced the entire evap. system, which took two days. This last time they replaced the "purge control valve" which I have never heard of... the problem w/ my car was, whenever I went to get gas, i'd put it in but then wouldn't be able to start my car. Finally I'd get it to start but then it would die when I brake or die before I even got to driving it. It was an embarassing problem and I'd often find myself spending 20 minutes at the gas station. It got to where I'd sit there pretending to be on my cell phone so people wouldn't know that my car wasn't going to start for at least 10-15 more minutes. It sucked. Anyway, I had to take one of the Honda techies to the gas station with me so he could "experience the problem" and then i hung out by myself in winter park for 7 hours... that's boring. Only to find, too, that they'd had to over night ship a part and keep my car for two days. So my time spent downtown was pointless... so today I finally got my car back and once I have money to gas her up, she better start!!! just wanted to let everyone know, that if they experienced that problem, its the PURGE CONTROL VALVE.!!!

~CaiT*
Old 06-17-2003
Registered!!

jedi is an unknown quantity at this point
Hi Rocky,
I had a 90 Accord , and it did the exact same thing!
Nobody new what it was so I just put up with it and often leaving the var running while getting gas. One time I was stuck out of town and I thought O well it will start in a few min`s ,well nope so I waited and tried again still no luck. So I called for a ride home and it sat in a parking lot all night. The following day I made an appoiment to have it towed if it wouldn`t start , but I said for some reason I think it will start. The mech. said ," if you get it going bring it right down and I`ll check it out. Well I got a ride to where my car was and sure enough it started right up 1/2 turn no problem! So I drove to get it checked out and every thing was fine no reason for what happened. O well I thought ( he didn`t charge me to check it out) , he said if it doesen`t start then I can fix it LOL ( for real ) he could do anything until it was dead. So I went on like that all winter somtimes starting sometimes needing a jump because my radiator fan kept running and run the battery down ( couldn`t find the problem to that either ) so I started looking for a new car in March and bought my 03 Civic in April , despite there falts , Honda still offers the most for the buck !!
Thank you for your post if I can`t start my civic after tanking-up in a few years (or months) at least I`ll know where to look
You would think it would be easier to find a coupe , thats why another honda
jedi
Old 06-18-2003
Registered!!

024drlx is an unknown quantity at this point
same here i have sent the car for engine light. 1st evap system leaks, repair. 2nd time again went on, did not do a good job repair again. 3rd time went on again, replace a part attach to the system. and now i am complaining and a different delearship is fixing the problem instead now. damn i thought i was just the only only one with this weird problem.
Old 06-18-2003
Registered!!

haha.... hey guys. Yeah... i think it affects gas mileage too- making it worse. I noticed as the problem thickened and it got harder for me to start my car, that my gas mileage was falling. When i first got my car I got around 400 to the tank, but I got just over 305 this last time!! I guess anything that has to do w/ emissions affects gas mileage.

~CaiT*
Old 06-18-2003
Registered!!

oh guess what guys... its also called the "PCV Valve" ... i have this list of things that affect gas mileage that i got from Discount auto parts, and it said PCV valve also inhibits engine performance! so maybe my car is faster now that its fixed... dunno!