Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

rust on my new car

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2003
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mylemon is an unknown quantity at this point
Angry rust on my new car

I had rust spots on my 2001 civic after the first 6 months. Specifically on the "trunk lid". My dealer recommended a body shop for me, to be repainted under warranty, the shop had 2 cracks at it, as the first time he did a terrible job, almost like they closed the trunk before the paint was dry. a few months later the rust is back, and my dealer told me to go back to the same shop. But as I was moving quite far away and didn't have time, I called Honda Canada and was told to get a letter from the dealership where I bought the car, so I could get the problem fixed where I am moving to. Now at the new place, they tell me Honda Canada will not authorize anything, as it was done once already, first they said maybe I don't wash my car enough, then they said it was probably "brake dust". I am not buying this, but what can I do? rust is rust, it's always going to be there! Now i am so sorry i bought the d***** thing in the first place. Any suggestions?
Old 04-05-2003
The Man, Myth and Legend

Location: Western Canada, where the beer is cold and the women are HOT!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ZMan2k2 is an unknown quantity at this point
I don't really have a suggestion as to what to do, but maybe a why it's there. Are these rust spots really small and numerous? I ask because I had a Pontiac Firefly, that had rust spots on a plastic bumper. I showed the dealer this, and they said it was from when the car was transported on a train. Apparantly, when the train hit the brakes, the little pieces of metal that came off the tracks and wheels fell on my car, and settled in the clearcoat.

Okay, maybe I have a suggestion. If that is the problem, alot of little rust spots, check the rest of the car. If they're all over, take it back to Honda, show them, then get them to repaint the entire car. But first, strip it completely. Right down to the metal, new primer, new paint, new clear coat. That will probably be the only way to get rid of it.

The only good thing that I can tell you, if the spots are the ones I described, is that they don't get bigger. They're just so plentiful, it's damned annoying.

Sorry man, that's all I got, hope it helps.