Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

MY TRANSMISSION JUST WENT OUT TODAY AT 40,000

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2003
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Slumpert is an unknown quantity at this point
The downshifting is the result of good engineering. Your car is using engine braking on the downhill.

Slump
Old 06-23-2003
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Chrissy is an unknown quantity at this point
oh god... who did i get a call from today, my friend that traded my automatic for his manual... he is lucky that its still under warranty... under 3 years/36000 miles i had to pick him up and get his car towed by AAA. he told me he did a lot of spraying... DUH!! it aint good for the automatic, especially when your spraying 75 shot all the fuggin time!!! peeps these days, pffffff... i'm just about through helping him undo the nitrous and removing it completely
Old 06-23-2003
that little dude
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

slick will become famous soon enoughslick will become famous soon enough
that sucks, since your tranny is out of warranty, but guess what, mine went out last month, at 10,500 MILES!!!!!!!
is that a record or something? 10,500 miles, the engine is barely broken in. oh well, i dont really act surprised anymore with this car, as long as i have all my problems during the warranty period, i'll be happy.
$4100 is insane, even for a brand new tranny for a civic, definately check some junk yards, might get lucky and find a new '03 that has been wrecked from behind or something that has a new tranny in it.
Old 06-25-2003
Registered!!

htowncivicEX is an unknown quantity at this point
If you're at 40k and something breaks, keep taking your car to a different Honda dealership until you find one that will goodwill warranty it. I find it hard to believe that a dealership will refuse a tranny repair only 4k out of warranty, provided there is no evidence that the customer abused the car.

Many dealerships (such as the one I used to work at) will warranty basically anything, because the service manager wants to get their service numbers to look good.

And yes, Honda did extend the warranty on the automatic transmissions for the previous gen Accords and latest gen Odysseys. I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think the 7th gen Civics were covered under this extension.
Old 06-25-2003
Registered!!

MMILX is an unknown quantity at this point
I priced a few for my used 01 Auto LX... HondaCare was actually a great deal at 850 for 7/100k with 50 dollar deductible...

And you can buy it up to 42/42k from the in-service date of the vehicle. With all the problems I've read about here, its basically peace of mind for me. Plus, since Honda's entire warranty ends at 3/36 (no 5/60 powertrain), I figured I'd take the plunge.

My mom's got a 97 EX coupe and its had ZERO problems... She too has the HondaCare warranty.

Originally posted by SilverCivSedan
Tranny goin' out at 40k??

Man that sucks.

i'm about 25k right now, an' i'm saving up to buy an extended warranty. How much are extended warranties??
Old 06-27-2003
Registered!!

Devst8n is an unknown quantity at this point
Hey Mouse 2 schools of thought here:

My parents had an accord and its tranny died at 102,000 km just over the factory warranty. This was from my brother doing series of neutral bumps a couple months back. My dad was a loyal customer to honda and they paid the tranny and made him pay the labour but a 3600 dollar job was reduced to 700. The price you are quoted does sound about right "IF" they have to replace it. The tranny itself might not be dead, it could be a damaged torque converted, or something else.

I would insist that honda look to replace this or do something. Ask for honda's toll free customer service num and fight it there. Quote the honda "reliabilty and all that jazz" Bring up any other problems you might have had with the car. If they dont want to do anything (dealership or honda head office) then let them know you will never be buying another honda as long as you live, let them know how you will be expressing your opinion in this experience to other people. Bring up this forum and have them check out how many people are losing their trannies. The idea is make your situation seem sincere but also to stress this type of repair should be covered mostly under goodwill. See if they are willing to repair the tranny as opposed to replace it.

If you dont get any luck there then I would look to take the car to a transmission shop and see what they think the prob is/and possible repair cost would be. They will probably be a lot less than honda to repair and also they might be able to fix it.

Finally if you wanted to lessen the cost, perhaps this might be a time to convert the car from auto to manual. I know the manual trannies are alot less, but Im not sure if the cost of converting the guages, clutch etc would be worth it.

Last edited by Devst8n; 06-27-2003 at 12:28 PM.
Old 06-27-2003
Welcome To Prime Time, BITCH!

GrayGhost is on a distinguished road
Originally posted by Devst8n
My dad was a loyal customer to honda and they paid the tranny and made him pay the labour but a 3600 dollar job was reduced to 7000.

ummmmm......what........reduced to.....?
Old 06-27-2003
Registered!!

Devst8n is an unknown quantity at this point
whoops..my bad...meant 700..i changed it
Old 06-27-2003
Registered!!

chobits is an unknown quantity at this point
it's a big mistake to downshift an auto trans
don't ever try to make it like manual, an auto is an auto; it's not manual
that's one of the reason why so many auto trans are broken
Old 06-28-2003
Truehonda.com

bublik is an unknown quantity at this point
Crash it into a tree and say the trans went out when you crashed. I mean, it will be assesed and the Insurance will pay for it. Or pay 4,000+ for another crapy trans. American Honda's suck
Old 06-28-2003
Resident Tough Guy

Sivion is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Be careful!

Originally posted by Devst8n
Hey Mouse 2 schools of thought here:

My parents had an accord and its tranny died at 102,000 km just over the factory warranty. This was from my brother doing series of neutral bumps a couple months back. My dad was a loyal customer to honda and they paid the tranny and made him pay the labour but a 3600 dollar job was reduced to 700. The price you are quoted does sound about right "IF" they have to replace it. The tranny itself might not be dead, it could be a damaged torque converted, or something else.

I would insist that honda look to replace this or do something. Ask for honda's toll free customer service num and fight it there. Quote the honda "reliabilty and all that jazz" Bring up any other problems you might have had with the car. If they dont want to do anything (dealership or honda head office) then let them know you will never be buying another honda as long as you live, let them know how you will be expressing your opinion in this experience to other people. Bring up this forum and have them check out how many people are losing their trannies. The idea is make your situation seem sincere but also to stress this type of repair should be covered mostly under goodwill. See if they are willing to repair the tranny as opposed to replace it.

If you dont get any luck there then I would look to take the car to a transmission shop and see what they think the prob is/and possible repair cost would be. They will probably be a lot less than honda to repair and also they might be able to fix it.

Finally if you wanted to lessen the cost, perhaps this might be a time to convert the car from auto to manual. I know the manual trannies are alot less, but Im not sure if the cost of converting the guages, clutch etc would be worth it.
Be careful about expressing too hard everywhere about a product from Honda (or any other corporation). If they get proof that you had started a bad reputation in their product and influenced other people, then they can take you to court for slander. I know because I had a friend that was taken to court by Toyota beause he was spreading A LOT of bad judgements against Toyota and he was reported and they promptly slapped a suit on him.
Old 06-29-2003
Truehonda.com

bublik is an unknown quantity at this point
We should be scared. Maybe we should all not have opinions, then otehrs cant take us to court. I can talk as much crap about any company as long as it directly does not affect (physically) them in any way. I can say HONDA sucks, and no one will sue me.