General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

dont drive in snow on bald tires

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2002
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Diznavis is an unknown quantity at this point
dont drive in snow on bald tires

today was supposed to be my second-to-last day driving my 88 dodge omni (getting my civic at 6:15pm monday). we're getting some snow here in south-eastern pa, and i was driving with my girlfriend. we started heading back when the roads started getting bad, and on the way back, i downshifted to slow down for a curve, and my bald tires lost all grip on the road from the higher rpms and the car just kept going straight and took out a couple signs and hit a tree. i got the car to slow some by downshifting more, but it still hit at least the first signs at 25+mph, not sure what it hit the tree at, but there was very little damage considering the impact. i got a bent rim, the bumper is a little messed up, a loose headlight and the turn signal fell off, but was held on by the wire to the turn signal bulb. the car got stuck there, but once it got pulled out i drove it home. im gonna take off work tomorrow though because i dont want to drive any more on the bent rim, and im getting my civic tomorrow anyway. i was glad i was in the omni still, that same impact would probably have caused $1000+ in damage to the civic, but with the omni, a few junkyard parts, some duct tape for the turn signal (not too worried about what it looks like when im done) and a headlight should be all i need to fix it, and i can do it myself.
Old 01-06-2002
Registered!!

NeoMagus is an unknown quantity at this point
Dude dont drive in 17's either. BFGoodrich Euro T/A's anyway. I thought I was gonna die at least ten times driving on I-81 today not counting when I saw a Taurus spin into the guardrail and a Tractor Trailer flip over
Old 01-06-2002
Registered!!

supYO is an unknown quantity at this point
yep my firestones are pretty bald already after a year plus... fishtailed alot last night it snowed a bit... going to get some winter tires on tuesday =)