Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

!!! General Maintenence Tips !!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2002
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jotosuds is an unknown quantity at this point
!!! General Maintenence Tips !!!

hey guys.

i have a bunch of questions on how to keep my civic in top form.

1. Oil - when to change oil, and do you change filter with oil? reasonable prices for filter and oil change? which oil filter to buy? should you buy one and take it to the place?

2. Snow+Salt - i live in Michigan, so they salt up the roads. should i definitely get that undercoating done to prevent corrosion?

3. tire rotation - how often?

4. should i follow the rest of the manual on the other items, like fluids, checking pollen filters or whatever?

5. how do you get a good launch with your civic?

thanks guys

Old 10-31-2002
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
PESTLNC is an unknown quantity at this point
1. Oil - Change every 3-5K with Motorcraft 5w20 and a Purolator Filter. If you got lotsa $$$ to blow...get Amsoil 5w20 and a Mobil 1 filter.

2. Not if you wash your car frequently. Hit some of those car washes with the pressurized hoses and do the underside as well as the top.

3. 10K miles with stock tires. Other tires have different treadwear and should be rotated differently.

4. Yes, with the exception of an automatic transaxle. If you have an auto, change the fluid well before the 60K recommended interval. Alot of trannys have been dying, and this is the best preventative measure I can think of.

5. Strap on a solid rocket booster...you know, the ones they use to help bombers take off of carriers.
Old 10-31-2002
Registered!!

macrossranma is an unknown quantity at this point
amsoil 5w20???never heard of it, the one 5w20 here is quaker state, so amsoil is good??and how much?
Old 10-31-2002
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
PESTLNC is an unknown quantity at this point
Amsoil is the only full-synthetic 5w20 that I know of. You can get it from your local Amsoil rep., or off of www.amsoil.com. Amsoil is awesome...but there's a price to be paid for the best. Frankly, I think it's better and more economical to change your oil every 3K with Motorcraft and a new filter.
Old 11-01-2002
Registered!!

2001CIVICLX is an unknown quantity at this point
Follow the manual. Granted, there are a lot of things like inspecting everything every 5k is probably not worth it if they are going to charge you for it, but if you go to Honda for the OIL changes at their EXPRESS CHANGE service department, they generally check everything anyways. The filters, change at recommended intervals, fluids, at recommended intervals, and most everything else, at recommended intervals.

Today, I went in for the 20k in the manual and the guy tried to sell me a $125 dollar package, I was like What the CRAP!! I just want my oil changed, (Express change with all the courtesy things), and my tires rotated...
Old 11-01-2002
Registered!!

HomerSimpson is an unknown quantity at this point
As for your salt/snow question, I live in Chicago and they load the salt on like they have an endless supply. Only thing I do is make sure I take the car to a car wash with undercarage spray every 2 or 3 weeks. Always done it this was and never had any salt related problems.
Old 11-01-2002
Registered!!

macrossranma is an unknown quantity at this point
yeah, salt/snow is ok if u under car wash once a while
Old 11-05-2002
Registered!!

impetigo is an unknown quantity at this point
the firestone pamphlet that came with the owner's manual says we should rotate the tires every 5k miles. but if you have aftermarket rims/tires, it will vary.