Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

clutch question

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2002
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
jkim1978 is an unknown quantity at this point
clutch question

i just bought a civic lx stick 2 weeks ago.. and this is my first time that i am driving a manual... well my question is this... when i first started to drive the car.. i would let the clutch out not that much but enough... and started to push the accelerator to go... but since couple of days ago... it feels like i have to let the clutch out way more then i used to.... before i can start going... is this normal... ? or is there a problem... ? is this waht they mean.. when they say that i am wearing out my clutch? any suggestions will be appreciated.. thanks... sorry... newbie... and i did do a search.. found nothing..
Old 10-01-2002
Registered!!

1955 is an unknown quantity at this point
thats usual cus the throw out bearing/clutch release fork need to engage the pressure plate/flywheel,so dont be worry.
Old 10-02-2002
Registered!!

SoNiCcIvIc is an unknown quantity at this point
Wearing out the clutch is pretty much pressing the gas too much as you let off the clutch changing gears. The clutch is pretty resiliant to people who learn how to drive a stick and people get 50k miles on it... but any clutch can be destroyed in a matter of 2 minutes. It's always nice to treat that part of the car with the utmost respect because they aren't a cheap replacement.
Old 10-02-2002
Registered!!

thanks for all the replys... but i don't think i have worn out my clutch.. but.... this is what is happening... when i first got the car... i would normally release the clutch around 50% to feel the gears engaging then i would press the accelerator.... but recently it feels like i would have to release the clutch around 75% and then i would press the accelerator...... that is my problem... should i get this checked out.. or is this normall..
Old 10-02-2002
Jap-Euro Fusion
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
[hr]Originally posted by: SoNiCcIvIc
Wearing out the clutch is pretty much pressing the gas too much as you let off the clutch changing gears. The clutch is pretty resiliant to people who learn how to drive a stick and people get 50k miles on it... but any clutch can be destroyed in a matter of 2 minutes. It's always nice to treat that part of the car with the utmost respect because they aren't a cheap replacement.[hr]
Damn... you must beat on your clutch. Honda told me that even with learning to drive stick on the car, the clutch should be good for 100 K or more. My friend has a 91 Accord, she changed it at 160K, learning to drive included.
Old 10-02-2002
Registered!!

solar is an unknown quantity at this point
[hr]Originally posted by: jkim1978
thanks for all the replys... but i don't think i have worn out my clutch.. but.... this is what is happening... when i first got the car... i would normally release the clutch around 50% to feel the gears engaging then i would press the accelerator.... but recently it feels like i would have to release the clutch around 75% and then i would press the accelerator...... that is my problem... should i get this checked out.. or is this normall..[hr]
I've been driving standard transmissions all my life, and I know what you mean by the pedal coming out a long way before it engages. I also thought I had a problem and I posted just about the same question you have posted, and everyone I talked to said that its normal. As long as you aren't "riding" the clutch; and DON'T REST your foot on the clutch pedal while you drive or when you're stopped at a light, and you haven't smelled the clutch burning, you'll be fine. Keep the pedal out as much as possible and your clutch will last for a long time.
Old 10-02-2002
Registered!!

thanks solar.... i'm glad to hear that i'm not the only person who has dealt with this problem...
Old 10-05-2002
Registered!!

asianmatrix02 is an unknown quantity at this point
so when u said "don't rest your foot on the clutch at a stop light" does that mean that i can't keep it in 1st gear and just hold the clutch in while i wait? or do i have to just keep it in neutral and wait.
Old 10-05-2002
Jap-Euro Fusion
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
[hr]Originally posted by: asianmatrix02
so when u said "don't rest your foot on the clutch at a stop light" does that mean that i can't keep it in 1st gear and just hold the clutch in while i wait? or do i have to just keep it in neutral and wait.[hr]
It puts unnecessary stress on the pressure plate if you keep the clutch in. What I usually do is I watch for the other way to go yellow. When it does, I kick the clutch and put the car in 1st. That way when it goes green 5 or so seconds later, I'm ready to go, and the clutch wasn't in for the 2 or so minutes the light was red.
Old 10-06-2002
Registered!!

EternalVTEC is an unknown quantity at this point
when you pull out, its not wrong to do what you do, but itll save the clutch a little longer if you use a combination, meaning, as youre letting the clutch out, start to lightly push the gas, not so much that it revs like he77, but enough to get the motor above idle, this will be a little easier on the rest of your transmission, and is also a sign of a more experienced(well taught) manual transmission driver. like i said, theres nothing wrong about doing what youre doing, but its not the best way either.
Old 10-07-2002
Registered!!

solar is an unknown quantity at this point
[hr]Originally posted by: asianmatrix02
so when u said "don't rest your foot on the clutch at a stop light" does that mean that i can't keep it in 1st gear and just hold the clutch in while i wait? or do i have to just keep it in neutral and wait.[hr]
Its okay to keep the clutch pushed all the way in, but if you rest your foot on the pedal,( just putting slight pressure on it ) you'll wear out the clutch plate faster.

Old 10-07-2002
Registered!!

orso is an unknown quantity at this point
no biggie just breaking in