Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

to all moderators, and any with major engine experience

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2002
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SaiyanMatador is an unknown quantity at this point
to all moderators, and any with major engine experience

so check this out, i was sittin around one day, thinking about my car, its a 2001 lx right, non vtec, 1.7L even, and i thought, hey the 2001 ex is also a 1.7L, hmmm my engine non vtec, and the ex engine vtec, besides the fact taht i was too cheap to buy the vtec car, is there any possible way to swap vtec into my car, or is there more to it, i figure its just the head, possible a new cam(heeh better performance cam), and the computer which regulates the vtec engagment, now, someone out there with the brains of this stuff, who has probably done a total rebuild on our new cars, educate me here, cause im sure theres lots of wrecked ex civics out there 2001 of course, that would love to sell me there computer and head, thanks again
eric
Old 07-06-2002
Registered!!

tummyboy is an unknown quantity at this point
That should be all you need man. the only ohter thing I can think of that is different is the compression ratio is higher on the EX engine thats why the Lx engine is recommended if they ever come out with a turbo for our cars. but the thing to ask is it really worth it . its still only a SOHC Vtec but if you have access to the Head and the computer for a cheap price go for it . but remember its only 10 hp so so if your gong to throw alot of money at it then probably not worth it
Old 07-06-2002
em2

sspem2 has a spectacular aura aboutsspem2 has a spectacular aura about
just trade in ur lx for a ex. it will b much cheaper in the long run and the ex has more mods to do. thats y i got an ex
Old 07-06-2002
Registered!!

Lococoin is an unknown quantity at this point
thats the thing that sucks about canada, i just bought an lx sedan which is the top of the line in the sedans, there is no ex, not even in the coupes, the ex is the si.. so unfortunately i could not get the vtec in a 4 door so i am stuck with the 115 horse. sigh....maybe if i put some nice stickers on i would gain the 10 h.p!!
Old 07-07-2002
Registered!!

Yeah lococoin . yellow stickers I hear are the most HP for the money [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG]
Old 07-07-2002
Registered!!

Ronin is an unknown quantity at this point
[hr]Originally posted by: SaiyanMatador
so check this out, i was sittin around one day, thinking about my car, its a 2001 lx right, non vtec, 1.7L even, and i thought, hey the 2001 ex is also a 1.7L, hmmm my engine non vtec, and the ex engine vtec, besides the fact taht i was too cheap to buy the vtec car, is there any possible way to swap vtec into my car, or is there more to it, i figure its just the head, possible a new cam(heeh better performance cam), and the computer which regulates the vtec engagment, now, someone out there with the brains of this stuff, who has probably done a total rebuild on our new cars, educate me here, cause im sure theres lots of wrecked ex civics out there 2001 of course, that would love to sell me there computer and head, thanks again
eric[hr]
It is possible to swap the engines, but it is definitely not worth the cost and headache and risk to gain a measly 12 HP. You're better off using that money and getting a CAI, a new exhaust, and better suspension components. And after all that, you will still have money left over to buy even more goodies, compared with a complete engine swap.

That's why some guys prefer getting the LX over the EX in the first place, so that they can use the money they saved for buying extra mods. And I think the LX is also lighter than the EX, so there is an advantage there too.

Old 07-07-2002
Registered!!

[hr]Originally posted by: tummyboy
Yeah lococoin . yellow stickers I hear are the most HP for the money [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG][hr]
damn, im not a big fan of yellow, Tummyboy, could you tell me how much h.p i would get from some red or blue stickers??
Old 07-07-2002
Registered!!

badcivic2002 is an unknown quantity at this point
I saw a 50hp blue sticker kit at a local shop. good deal too. they only wanted 125 for a 50HP KIT!!! GOOD DEAL huh[IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG]
Old 07-07-2002
Registered!!

damn that sounds like a sweet deal, do you have a web addy or a phone number, im thinkin of picking up a 50 h.p kit like that.
Old 07-08-2002
Registered!!

Well lets say you have sticker"A" which is yellow and it gives you 125 horse then sticker in "A" in blue is 75 horse and in white its only 25 horse . this is through testing [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG]
Old 07-08-2002
Registered!!

SaiyanMatador is an unknown quantity at this point
alright you goofy azzes, what i was asking is the difference between my engine and a vtec engine is simple the head and computer, i was wondering if there was more to it to make my lx nonvtec into and ex vtec, by buying the head and computer out of a wrecked ex, cant be too hard, or could it, and this different compression ratio gig, i wont know until i pick up a book with information on, that, and quit posting about your stupid stickers, that joke is played out
eric
Old 07-10-2002
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Boosted is an unknown quantity at this point
I was at the Honda Dealership last night and to be honest the only thing that I think that you would need is the head from and EX (which is BTW a SOHC just like the LX) the vtec controller, and a ECU from a EX. With this combo, I think that you would be able to achieve this... Plus I have talked to some of the Honda Mech. at the dealership along with my Helm's books, this is the only difference motor wise between the LX and EX.