Engine Post your engine related problems in this section. Engines will cover from Fuel, Engine, Cooling, Exhaust physical related items.

Issues after head job and timing belt

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mightymouse0325 is an unknown quantity at this point
Issues after head job and timing belt

I’ve read almost every sticky and other threads trying to figure out a solution to my problem. After the head job and timing belt job my 03 civic LX was idling funny so I did the idle relearn and followed every step of the instructions. When I start it up the rpms shoot up to 2000-2500 and then go back to normal idle, but when I shut the ignition off it sounds like the engine is a little delayed on shutting off. The Idle got a little better after I did the relearn but my check engine light came on so I went to have it read, it came back as PCV valve vacuum leak, so I replaced the valve and the hose and it’s still doing it! I took the throttle body off and cleaned it and did the relearn procedure again, and it still does it. Can anybody help me with this? The only hissing noise I hear is when I put my ear where the resonator is, but it did that before the head job and I’ve looked and it’s not cracked or anything.
Old 10-21-2018
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of
Re: Issues after head job and timing belt

Perform a smoke test on it to inspect for vacuum leaks:

Old 10-21-2018
Registered!!

I’ve tried carb cleaner and soapy water and still nothing but after putting my throttle body back on now when it sits and idles it’s not consistent it goes up and down in park idling and I did the relearn. Could some of it possibly be air in my cooling system?
Old 10-21-2018

Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by mightymouse0325
I’ve tried carb cleaner and soapy water and still nothing but after putting my throttle body back on now when it sits and idles it’s not consistent it goes up and down in park idling and I did the relearn. Could some of it possibly be air in my cooling system?
Revving up and down is usually related the IACV (idle air control valve). you may want to remove it and clean inside the valve and the gasket screen with brake spray cleaner.

Could possibly be due to air in coolant: Raise front of car on jack-stands as high as possible (radiator neck above engine), Set climate control.to max heat with fan off, bleed air from coolant and add coolant mix as needed to radiator and reservoir, bleed air until the radiator fan engages twice. I prefer to occasionally hold revs (30 seconds) around 2500 rpms during the bleed procedure to help push air out of the system..though that is not stated in the service manual. For the last few minutes of bleed procedure I let the engine idle and make sure the bubbles are very tiny to non-existent.

A smoke test is the best way to find a vacuum leak IMO. If you have a compressor it's pretty easy to make a DIY smoke-tester with an empty paint can, 1/4" NPT adapters, JB weld and 3/8" corded rubber hose. A cigar is used for the smoke inside the can.
Old 10-28-2018
Registered!!

Well I finally figured it out after looking at some other threads on here and realized I used the wrong intake gasket, so I replaced it with the right one that has the 4 little holes on it and just like that she idles better.
Old 10-30-2018

Originally Posted by mightymouse0325
Well I finally figured it out after looking at some other threads on here and realized I used the wrong intake gasket, so I replaced it with the right one that has the 4 little holes on it and just like that she idles better.
Sounds like you got 'er dicked...pluggin holes.