Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Adjust IAC Valve??

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
savoxis is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Adjust IAC Valve??

Heyas,

So my 1996 Civic LX threw a check engine light for IAC valve, and after cleaning it resetting the light and having come back I decided to buy a new one. I installed the new IAC reset the light and it hasnt come back on...

But now when I idle the car will either sit around 1700 or lope between ~600-~1700

Does the IAC valve need adjusting? I did bleed my coolant system after installing it to get any bubbles out.

Any pointers would be appreciated!
Old 05-28-2012
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of
Re: Adjust IAC Valve??

There's an idle adjustment screw on the throttlebody.

Did you use a new gasket?

Are you sure you got all the bubbles out? Maybe try to bleed it again.

Does it idle like that when cold then go away at operating temp? May be a vacuum leak.

Does it idle normal when you let off the brake? Could be a bad brake booster or booster hose

Look for carbon buildup on the throttle plate. Clean it with card cleaner if dirty.

And finally, see if it's still throwing any codes. Just because the light isn't on doesn't mean it isn't throwing codes.
Old 05-29-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
savoxis is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Adjust IAC Valve??

Originally Posted by lazlong
Did you use a new gasket?
Yes, and I am pretty sure its seated correctly since they give you that groove

Are you sure you got all the bubbles out? Maybe try to bleed it again.
I couldnt find a zerk fitting to bleed from the upper radiator hose area, so I took off the radiator cap and let it run until a little after the thermostat opened, adding coolant as bubble came up

Does it idle like that when cold then go away at operating temp? May be a vacuum leak.
Strangest thing in the world. Its opposite. When I am cool it idles high but does not lope. Once the car is warm the lope starts, its because of this I dont want to adjust the idle, I figure if i tune the idle down to like 800 instead of 1500 where it is now it will just die when it warms instead of loping

Does it idle normal when you let off the brake? Could be a bad brake booster or booster hose
Yes there is no change with brakes/no brakes

Look for carbon buildup on the throttle plate. Clean it with card cleaner if dirty.
Ill check this out when i get off work

Last edited by savoxis; 05-29-2012 at 10:15 AM.