Engine Post your engine related problems in this section. Engines will cover from Fuel, Engine, Cooling, Exhaust physical related items.

2002 civic ex cps fault code 1362

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GotU420 is an unknown quantity at this point
2002 civic ex cps fault code 1362

So driving down freeway at about 80-85. Engine light comes on car goes straight to lag mode. Pulled off the road and got a tow home. Hooked up scanner got 1362 cam position sensor. Cleared code and car started drive fine until I hit 3k rpms.
back to lag mode.

I replaced sensor and my electric load detector at same time( had another code to)
nothing still nothing. Timing marks all good and line up. Now even if I clear code reset ecu nothing. Won't start.

thinking about just buying jdm d17 swap from jdm direct $650 total rather than paying Honda $1000 plus to figure out what is wrong. But I figure ill ask before. Car ran perfect till this happened yesterday. I've read all the threads tried everything.
Old 09-09-2018
Registered!!

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Slumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to all
Re: 2002 civic ex cps fault code 1362

By tried “Everything” you bought the sensor from Honda directly, used 1/8 can or electrical contact cleaner on the sensor and the pigtail , waited 15 minutes for the cleaner to flash off, and then reinstalled making sure your heard the click sound?

Your initial problem is well known symptom of that sensor failing, when it gets hot it fails and by hot we’re talking just normal engine operating temperature.

Also well know is third party suppliers are often the reason people end up on this board. They got the error, bought sensor off rockauto/autozone, watched a YouTube video, did it themself, and then the car is in worse shape than it started with and then starts googling the original engine code and finds this forum.
Old 09-09-2018
Registered!!

Okay first off no I guess I didn't try everything. Autozone part, didn't clean contacts..... about to test with muti meter see if I get flow while I spin crank past sensor. Then double checking plugs and coils too.
Honda isn't open in Vegas so I'll try cleaning contacts and check everything else now with meter...needed to take a break this was driving my nuts( wife's crying in my ear). I'll get back at you guys in a hour or so.
Old 09-09-2018
Registered!!

Slumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to all

Personally have not tried this but try leaving the sensor unplugged and see if it will start / try to start. I know the engine goes into limp mode under 2500 rpm max when the sensor is acting up on a restart.
Old 09-09-2018
Registered!!

this AutoZone part won't click like old one. I press in hard too. The old one has the click but this one won't period. Second on my old CPS it has a clear notch on tip around 6 or 12 o'clock depending on how you hold it, the new AutoZone(probably the problem) has a center mark in the middle of the magnet. Did anyone else notice this in genuine Honda parts.

Old 09-10-2018
Registered!!

Just got back from Honda, took AutoZone part out pace new OEM part in and she's purring...
thanks bro!!! Accept no substitute. Honda parts are the only way to go.

code 1362 cleared, drove to AutoZone and back runs great guys. Has better throttle response too, weird but ill take it.

Old 09-10-2018
Registered!!

Good job getting it done, now just remember to not put high mileage oil in it ever..

Personally convinced without any scientific date that the extra additives clog up those oil control rings in a hurry.