Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Battery drained and car won't start after charge

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yiplong is an unknown quantity at this point
Battery drained and car won't start after charge

I noticed intermittent battery light today, it seems to come up a lot while the vehicle is stopped or going at low speed. The car also jerks sometimes (not sure if this is related to the electrical problem). Things quickly got worse before I can take it to the shop. First all the instrument panel gauges went out, then the lights, then turn signals. The car barely made it to my driveway before dying.

I charged the battery for a total of 40-50 minutes. Now the lights, instrument panel gauge, stereo, etc. all work, but when I turn the key the engine doesn't crank and there is no click at all. Usually when the battery is too weak to start the car, the engine will still attempt to turn over. Maybe I blew a fuse or something while charging? Or is this some security feature that's preventing the car from starting?

Any ideas what to do? I just want to get it started so I can drive it to the shop two blocks down the road. I have another car, maybe I will remove that battery and install it in the Civic and see if it starts.
Old 07-16-2018
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold
Re: Battery drained and car won't start after charge

If the battery is not holding a charge then it won't be able to start the car. It may have a shorted cell internally and it didn't accept any of the charging that you gave it. Your alternator could also be bad and not charging the battery which is usually when that light comes on.

How old is the battery?

Do you have volt meter?
Old 07-17-2018
Registered!!

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Slumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to all

Stock, the alarm won’t interfer with the starter.

It is possible you blew a fuse, but first thing I would do would be to take battery out and have it tested at parts store.
Old 07-17-2018
Registered!!

Originally Posted by GolNat
If the battery is not holding a charge then it won't be able to start the car. It may have a shorted cell internally and it didn't accept any of the charging that you gave it. Your alternator could also be bad and not charging the battery which is usually when that light comes on.

How old is the battery?

Do you have volt meter?
Looks like it is holding the charge. The battery was completely dead when the car stalled, after charging for a while I was able to operate the light, the stereo, window, etc. The battery may still be too weak to get the engine started, in this case it will usually attempt to start and make a "click click" noise. I didn't hear anything when I turn the key. This is odd.

I don't have a volt meter. I will consider buying one or getting the battery tested at a parts store. Or install the battery from my Toyota in the Civic and see what happens. Thanks for your help.
Old 07-18-2018
Registered!!

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts
NDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of light

Make sure the alternator bolts on bracket are not loose as this is the ground for the alternator and have created many problems including yours. The adjuster bolt can become stripped too. Check your alternator also.
Old 07-20-2018
Registered!!

Re: Drained battery

So I bought a new battery, same thing. When I turn the key, the lights come on, radio etc all work, but the car won't start. There is no crank. What should I check next? A blown fuse or maybe overzealous anti theft (I have stock security).
Old 07-20-2018
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Drained battery

Originally Posted by yiplong
So I bought a new battery, same thing. When I turn the key, the lights come on, radio etc all work, but the car won't start. There is no crank. What should I check next? A blown fuse or maybe overzealous anti theft (I have stock security).
Moved post to correct thread.

Bad starter? Clutch switch? PRNDL switch? Test!
Old 07-20-2018
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Alfie17 is an unknown quantity at this point

Start with the easiest thing first, test for a bad starter. Have someone crank the car while you tap the starter with a wrench or something and see if it starts. Starter is under air box on the transmission side of the engine.