Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Starting problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2004
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
streetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to all
Starting problem

Well it started about 2 months ago when I installed a new door locking assembly. After I got done installing it, I went to start the car, and it would slowly start, like it didnt want to but would engage. then a few more times of trying to start it, it wouldnt start. Well I had my dad jump me and it started and everytime after that it would start fine.

Well up to a few days ago, the same thing has been happening. The starter would slowly crank the engine, and last night it finally wouldnt start. Well I hooked a voltmeter up to the battery and it read 12.86 volts, so I new that was ok. But when I looked into the eye, there was no green light. So I assumed it was the battery. Well I took the battery to autozone and they said it was bad, so now I need to get a new battery. But if the battery is no good, how does the engine still start with it? I had my dad jump me again last night and it worked.

I havent gone out and checked the alternator with the voltmeter, but I assume if it was bad, the car wouldnt stay running for very long or restart, even with being jumped.

Does anyone think it is just my battery, or could I have a parasitic drain somewhere? I think it is just the battery, but am not sure? I am in a electronic class right now in school, and maybe tomorrow I can hook up the VAT tester to it, but for right now give me your opinion please?
Old 11-07-2004
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
It's probably battery or a drain on power someplace. If something's using or weakening the battery when you start it, you're gonna have trouble. But the starting problem is most likely electrical (not enough voltage).
Old 11-07-2004
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
streetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to all
so do you think it might just be the battery?

I am going to go out in a bit and do a parasitic drain test, I know you are supposed to remove the negative battery terminal and connect the volt meter up to the negative cable and the ground and test the amps.
Old 11-10-2004

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
coop is a jewel in the roughcoop is a jewel in the roughcoop is a jewel in the rough
what's your mileage? Is it the stock battery that came with the car?
Old 11-10-2004
Sekz God

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NoToRiOuSxPiNoY is an unknown quantity at this point
Get your battery checked at ur local shop. Should be free
Old 11-10-2004
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
flotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to behold
Amperage is more important the voltage. Your battery can read 12 volts, but if it doesnt have enough cold cranking amps it wont start your engine. If the green light is out and it wont hold a charge, its time for a battery. If the new battery drains fast, you could have a problem with your charging system(like a bad altenator).