Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

oil pump seal leak and p1259

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
satinsilverem2 is an unknown quantity at this point
oil pump seal leak and p1259

so how to I begin haha. for the past couple of years I've been having an intermittent misfire stumbling issue on warmish restarts. I've replaced all of the parts that I can think of and pretty much everything on the engine is new. for the past couple of weeks I've Been getting a P1259 light on a cold start that I was able to clear and go about my day. well today I couldn't clear the code and drove with it on and it went away after about 5-6 miles. Ive checked my oil level and its Fine and Ive never had an oil light come on. at 95k I replaced the TB/WP and cleaned the filter on the solenoid. the car has 115k on it now and I change my oil every 5k with Honda genuine oil so I don't think it could clog up in 10k miles. when doing some work on the front of the car I noticed the engine was wet right around the crank sensor. I know these cars are known to develop leaks from the oil pump seal around my milage and age. its not dripping oil but the corner of the block is wet in that area so this is something that has started in the past couple of months. I'm planning on replacing the seal and checking and perhaps replacing the VTEC solenoid soon and was wondering. do I need to change the Timing belt again or will it be fine as with the tensioner? Im thinking that the p1259 code is causing all these issues ive been having as ive replaced almost everything else that could cause this issue.
Old 03-10-2018
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: oil pump seal leak and p1259

Pump O ring leak is not related to the code.
If it's not dripping to the ground, it's not real critical yet IMO.

Tripping the code upon cold startup is kinda odd.
How long after startup did it take before the CEL came on? Immediately? 10 seconds? A minute? What was your RPM at that time?

Of course you've checked oil level?

I'd want to monitor the output from the pressure switch and monitor the solenoid command to try to figure out if it's a switch issue, wiring issue, or a pressure problem.

You wouldn't believe how many vtec codes have been fixed by simply replacing an oil filter...but I've not seen one cause it to code at startup.
Old 03-10-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
satinsilverem2 is an unknown quantity at this point

the code usually come on within 10 seconds of start up. the rpms are around 1500ish. ive checked the level and its normal. how would I go about monitoring those parameters?
Old 03-10-2018
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

IIRC:
When vtec solenoid is on, pressure switch must be off
When vtec solenoid is off, pressure switch must be on

The solenoid is off until vtec is engaged.... so I bet the computer is detecting the switch is also off (incorrect state) at startup.

Use a volt/ohm meter: Is switch open? Is wiring ungrounded?