Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

2005 honda civic auto transmission problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2017
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
dsm482 has a spectacular aura aboutdsm482 has a spectacular aura about
2005 honda civic auto transmission problem

this is more for my honda tech tipster librarian EZONE or someone that knows these transmissions.

My tranny lost reverrse.. I noticed little slippage in my other gears but nothing bad. I was trying to prolong the life of this tranny before i find one used in decent shape and price,..
I changed the drain and fill.. Seems like a get a lot of stuff on the magnets, so i do this often... these resolved all my issues withing the last 2 years.

but yesterday i was trying to back up a hill, and heard clunk.. and no reverse..
drain an filled again and got crap out ... all gears work , tinny slippage on 2 to 3rd gear.. but no reverse,,.. no grinding no nothing. sometimes it will engage a touch and have reverse very slow at 5 mph am able to back up.

if it were warn out wouldnt i hear whinning,, it acts like its not engaging..
but all my other gears work..
or maybe is just a matter of time before it takes a crap in the other gears>?
Old 11-26-2017
Registered!!

Re: 2005 honda civic auto transmission problem

no tranny codes either, i dont have a light on...

its 2005 dx automatic
Old 11-27-2017
Registered!!

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts
NDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of light

Until ezone replies, I have the shop manual for an Odyssey and the troubleshooting for no reverse on that 4-speed auto asks to check for a missing shift fork bolt on the shift fork shaft - especially if you heard a clunk.
Old 11-27-2017
Registered!!

i have auto,, i dont have a manual, and a service manual
Old 11-27-2017
Registered!!

Originally Posted by NDNV
Until ezone replies, I have the shop manual for an Odyssey and the troubleshooting for no reverse on that 4-speed auto asks to check for a missing shift fork bolt on the shift fork shaft - especially if you heard a clunk.
this could make sense since i get no whine or anything. i guess tommorow i will lie underneat and check.. it would help if ezone elaborated how does it get engaged in reverse.. is it by cable and selector shaft or drive by wire..

I can check tommorow..
Old 11-28-2017
Registered!!

ok I will post up an update, no cable broke or anything, .. its internal n the transmission. something poped in there..
I guess 315k miles is not bad for a automatic tranny and it still drives forward.. lets see how long it lasts... I will be searching for a replacement used with lower millage in meanwhile...
Old 11-29-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dsm482

My tranny lost reverrse..
Replace it.
Old 12-08-2017
Registered!!

do you have electronica service manual.. while am looking for good deal an lower millage tranny ,
I wanted to clean the solenoids screen, i know where they are, .. just want to make sure there is no inline filter like some hondas on the radiator line, ..

the one that the dealer doesnt sell...
Old 12-08-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

The car did not come with an inline filter.

A replacement trans from Honda comes with an inline filter, and some people install a filter.......just follow the cooler hoses and look