Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Clunk in driver side rear

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
threeoten is an unknown quantity at this point
Clunk in driver side rear

My 2003 Si hatch has developed a new clunk sound in the rear mostly when I'm turning left. I got back there and could feel some looseness/clunk in the left side sway bar link, so I took them both out, drove it around with the sway links off and the noise was gone. I figured that must be it, so I replaced them on both sides as well as the bushings, tightened it all back up and the noise came back.

Any idea on what I might go after next?
Thanks
Old 11-22-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Clunk in driver side rear

Link nuts not tight enough?
Junk links?
Bar bushings too loose?
Bar rusted where those bushings ride, too much clearance?

Have someone rock the car side to side while you lay underneath and find where the noises come from?
Old 11-27-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
threeoten is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Clunk in driver side rear

Originally Posted by ezone
Link nuts not tight enough?
Junk links?
Bar bushings too loose?
Bar rusted where those bushings ride, too much clearance?
Have someone rock the car side to side while you lay underneath and find where the noises come from?
I went out and tightened them pretty much as tight as I could by hand with a small wrench.
Shouldn't be junk links, it happened with the old ones on AND the new ones.
Replaced the bushings, they're tight and no rust anywhere around the bar.
Rocking the vehicle doesn't produce the noise. I only hear it while turning left. It's quiet when turning right.