Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

disc Brake and cv will not raise up to strut!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
brownplus is an unknown quantity at this point
disc Brake and cv will not raise up to strut!!!

Ok, have removed/replaced struts already...no problems

When I finished replacing my steering slider and went to re-install driver strut and brake...it would not come together.

looking at it from the front, I can't get my axle/disc past 1:30 and the boot behind it stays bent down as if the gears inside it came apart...loose...

but I supported it, as before..never had a problem

any help...or do I need to disassemble...aargh...took me 2 days for the eps repair....

thanks for any and all help
Old 11-06-2017
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of
Re: disc Brake and cv will not raise up to strut!!!

if you pull the axle too far, the bearings inside could come out of the races, is that what you are seeing?
pics?
Old 11-06-2017
Registered!!

Will have to take off boot to see that...but thought those were typically a tight fit and hard to just come out...

but will see...have worked on many many diff. cars but this is first one with fwd, so not sure what is "behind the boot".]

thanks for suggestion
Old 11-06-2017
Registered!!

pics taking forever as my phone is acting up...meh
Old 11-06-2017
PITA Admin
Administrator

sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

also, tightening things before assembly could make it harder to fit.
have you removed the sway bar endlinks? (antiroll bar)
Old 11-06-2017
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,126 Likes on 941 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by brownplus
Will have to take off boot to see that...but thought those were typically a tight fit and hard to just come out...

but will see...have worked on many many diff. cars but this is first one with fwd, so not sure what is "behind the boot".]

thanks for suggestion
Should be able to see without taking the boot off, it will look 'stretched out' compared to the other boots.
Old 11-07-2017
Registered!!

THANKS all....

and after studying it...and drinking a bourbon....it came to me

the cv seemed to have pulled out a bit...axle...still getting used to fwd sorry

so slightly jacked up wishbone under brake...then kept gingerly rotating wheel/axle while simultaneously pushing on top of disc....then...pop...its back to good again.

after working on volvos and peugeots for the past 30 years...my ep3 is fantastic but a whole new world of learning....

that steering slider almost broke my morale

anyway...thanks for all the help guys

just painted my hatch nardo grey and will be mounting new rims/wheels for my upcoming pic

she is looking good...

better driver than my old peugeot 505 turbo...and that's saying a LOT

and if anyone cares...I found the koni orange with h&r street springs does a VERY nice job of leveling this car and dropping it about 2"...not too low as this is a jeep high car to begin with...but as low as I would want for daily function...about 1.87"

with an old rsx rear sway...I'm flabbergasted at the speed I can take curves/turns.

best seats ever (other than the pug) and worst factory stereo ever! (replaced).

The koni orange and hr street really are made in heaven to be a dd with positives on control AND comfort.

My friends prelude is nice with the yellows and track but damn if I can walk after 200 miles in that thing...

thx again guys....am still on the turkey...for the long (no one cares) post...but damn if I didnt think I might actually have to call a tow...utter fail...good support here.
Old 11-07-2017
PITA Admin
Administrator

great to know it worked out! wasn't sure if it went too far out - if they did, it could have put it apart

Koni oranges - they might not last too long with lowering springs, so keep an eye to boingo, boingo effects.

I would also recommend looking into camber bolts for the front (increase negative camber) or rear camber arms (reduce negative camber) in case you start noticing too much understeer (although I do think the EP3 have a different balance compared to the coupe EX - I went to the lengths of removing the front anti-roll bar)