Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

2002 Civic SI P0134 P0420 codes

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Philip54 is an unknown quantity at this point
2002 Civic SI P0134 P0420 codes

The engine light is on and I scanned both the P0134 P0420 codes. Under P0134 the scanner reads: 'O2 sensor circuit no activity detected Bank 1 Sensor 1.
Is most likely a sensor issue or a catalytic converter issue?
Thanks
Old 11-05-2017
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of
Re: 2002 Civic SI P0134 P0420 codes

Originally Posted by Philip54
The engine light is on and I scanned both the P0134 P0420 codes. Under P0134 the scanner reads: 'O2 sensor circuit no activity detected Bank 1 Sensor 1. Is most likely a sensor issue or a catalytic converter issue?
https://www.obd-codes.com/p0420
https://www.autocodes.com/p0134_honda.html

Check for manifold and other exhaust leaks.
Any idle or performance issue?
Old 11-05-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Fix the O2 sensor code first.
Then drive it and see if the cat code returns, and deal with it then.
Old 11-05-2017
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Megalodong
https://www.obd-codes.com/p0420
https://www.autocodes.com/p0134_honda.html

Check for manifold and other exhaust leaks.
Any idle or performance issue?
Thanks for your reply. No idle or performance issue. The car actually runs pretty well.
Old 11-05-2017
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
Thanks for your reply. Both my sensors and catalytic converters are relatively low time and I am trying to avoid purchasing unnecessary parts. This is why I am trying to troubleshoot the reason for the engine light and replace only the component that has failed.
Old 11-05-2017

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Both my sensors and catalytic converters are relatively low time
Doesn't matter.
It's set fault codes now.
Find and fix code P0134 first. (It may or may not be a failed O2 sensor, but it's usually a failed O2 sensor)
Old 11-05-2017
Registered!!

Doesn't matter.
It's set fault codes now.
Find and fix code P0134 first. (It may or may not be a failed O2 sensor, but it's usually a failed O2 sensor)

Thanks. We'll try the sensor first.
Old 11-05-2017

If you are going to replace it, get a DENSO or NTK sensor.
Whichever brand the factory installed....I think it was denso but not positive.
Old 11-05-2017

For 02 Si with K20 engine....It's an A/F sensor, not a regular oxygen sensor. OEM was indeed Denso.

HONDA part # 36531-PND-A11

DENSO website, look up your own part#: http://densoautoparts.com/find-my-part.aspx

Denso # 234-9004 ....now search for that at your local parts stores or online?
Old 11-05-2017
Registered!!

For 02 Si with K20 engine....It's an A/F sensor, not a regular oxygen sensor. OEM was indeed Denso.

HONDA part # 36531-PND-A11

DENSO website, look up your own part#: http://densoautoparts.com/find-my-part.aspx

Denso # 234-9004 ....now search for that at your local parts stores or online?
Thanks for the additional information. That really helps. I kind of remember that on that engine there is not a regular oxygen sensor.
Old 12-25-2017
Registered!!

I replaced the A/F sensor with a new Denso sensor. The engine light stayed off for about 1,500 miles, but now it is back on. Is there any way that the new Denso sensor can be tested out of the car? Also, assuming that the sensor is good, what should be the next step to troubleshoot the engine light on (the error is still the same: P042).

Thanks
Old 12-26-2017

Originally Posted by Philip54
I replaced the A/F sensor with a new Denso sensor. The engine light stayed off for about 1,500 miles, but now it is back on. Is there any way that the new Denso sensor can be tested out of the car? Also, assuming that the sensor is good, what should be the next step to troubleshoot the engine light on (the error is still the same: P042).

Thanks
So the AF sensor code is not present now. Only the cat code is returning?
Probably needs a cat.
If it doesn't have to pass an emissions test anytime soon, I might erase the cat code and then see how long (miles) it takes to reset it.

PS, in your first post you listed both codes were found......That means it already had set the cat code before it set the sensor code.
Old 12-26-2017
Registered!!

Yes, only one code this time. I also think that a new cat may be needed. But the strange thing is that the people that replaced the AF sensor said that the sensor was shot (it was not providing heat, perhaps the wires that provide the heat were broken). That is why I would be interested in removing the sensor and test it, if that is possible).
Also, is there any risk of damaging the engine driving the car with the light on for a while?
Thanks
Old 12-26-2017

(it was not providing heat, perhaps the
No.
Google search P0134, read the DEFINITION of that code..... that tells you how the sensor failed.

That is why I would be interested in removing the sensor and test it, if that is possible)
You want to pull out the brand new working AF sensor? NO!!!!
It's working fine according to the computer. DFWI

I hope you meant checking the old bad failed AF sensor.
Forget it. You can't check for P0134 off the car.
If you had a P0135 code you could check heater circuit resistance off the car, that's about all you can check.
Old 12-26-2017
Registered!!

No.
Google search P0134, read the DEFINITION of that code..... that tells you how the sensor failed.

You want to pull out the brand new working AF sensor? NO!!!!
It's working fine according to the computer. DFWI

I hope you meant checking the old bad failed AF sensor.
Forget it. You can't check for P0134 off the car.
If you had a P0135 code you could check heater circuit resistance off the car, that's about all you can check.
Thanks for your reply and clarifications. I erased the engine light and I'll drive the car for a while to see if it comes back. Then I'll make a decision about the cat.