Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

what the hell?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
oldbeater is an unknown quantity at this point
what the hell?

I am working on my friends 05 civic with a 1.7liter engine trying to change the timing belt I have everything lined up and I changed the water pump and the tensioner as well. it went together easily but doesn't run very well. it has no power at taking off. I left the crank sensor on when I changed the water pump could that be the problem. I have tried to reset the belt three times and am getting really good at it. the car starts up great but it takes a few minutes for the idle to even out. it is getting really annoying.
Old 10-11-2017
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,146 Likes on 801 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute
Re: what the hell?

To my recollection, you need to take the CKP sensor off to remove the belt. It protrudes just enough to keep you from taking off the timing belt. Unless I'm completely mistaken and there's actually a way to do so.

Any check engine light? All sensors plugged in?
Old 10-11-2017
Registered!!

5.0Thunder is a jewel in the rough5.0Thunder is a jewel in the rough5.0Thunder is a jewel in the rough5.0Thunder is a jewel in the rough

Valves adjusted properly? Mine was the same way when my valves were out of adjustment.
Old 10-11-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

If you unplugged the crank sensor,,,,,it could have antifreeze in it
Old 10-12-2017
Registered!!

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Slumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to all

Just because you reset the belt three times does not mean you set the belt correctly..
being off by 1 tooth will have a very noticeable loss of power.

Pretty sure if you bungled up the bottom sensor you would have triggered a code within a few seconds of starting..
Old 10-13-2017
Registered!!

oldbeater is an unknown quantity at this point

the check engine light comes on but when we hook up the obd 2 tester it says no codes found, so I try to erase it to get rid of the check engine light and it won't erase. I took the timing covers off again and with a second person had him check and everything lined up perfect and I rotated it 6 times checking every second rotation everything still lined up. the car has 130,000 miles on it and the valves have never been adjusted. I think it is a crank sensor and it is getting to much gas, the spark plugs were changed two months ago and they are deep black and I cannot get no.4 and no. 2 back out. I also checked the oil and it was too high so I drained some out until it was just right then i started it and it was too low for a minute so I added 3/4 of a quart now it is between the dots more towards the upper dot. but the problem remains and the wipers won't park on there own. the car is just worn out it is a nickel and dime car.
Old 10-13-2017
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

how exactly are you checking the timing?

which marks are you using?

describe in detail,

commom sense tells me if the car was running fine previously, and its not now, then the problem is something that you monkeyed around with
Old 10-13-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

the obd 2 tester it says no codes found,
No codes found.....or no communication? Huge difference.

Did someone forget to tighten the alternator mounting bolts? That can ruin a PCM in a hurry.