Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

2002 Civic won't start

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2017
clc
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
clc is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: 2002 Civic won't start

Slumpercivic, I forgot to ask if the small jumper wire from the starter would go to the negative of the battery.
Thanks
CLC
Old 10-17-2017
clc
Registered!!

I found out with a multi meter where to connect the jumper wire.
Well, I turned the key to the "on" position and the car cranked but did not start.

Last edited by clc; 10-17-2017 at 06:55 PM.
Old 10-18-2017
clc
Registered!!

Well, I replaced the fuel pump just to rule it out.
I hear it working for a few seconds but the engine won't start unless I spray fuel starter.
Once it starts it keeps running beautifully.
I really need some help here!!
Any suggestions?
Thanks,

CLC
Old 10-18-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by clc
Well, I replaced the fuel pump just to rule it out.

Any suggestions?
I said the pump was working a week ago.

I bet you could have bought a pretty decent scanner and a $3 test light for what you spent on the pump
Old 10-19-2017
clc
Registered!!

Yes, you are probably correct!
Old 10-19-2017
Registered!!

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Slumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to all

So what does the spark plugs look/smell like after 15 seconds of cranking.

What color is the spark when it turns over? (Hint you can use that starter trigger wire to do that solo.
Old 10-19-2017
Registered!!

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Slumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to all

just re-read your notes about work done.

Would not hurt to recheck timing marks. Possible tensioner letting cam skip a tooth now and then.. whole different mechanisms keeping a engine running at 600 rpm vs trying to start it @ 30.
Old 10-19-2017
clc
Registered!!

I'll check the plugs for gas smell and spark. I don't have the means or knowledge to check if the belt slipped.
Thanks,

CLC
Old 10-19-2017
clc
Registered!!

I cranked the engine and the plugs were bone dry. I was not able to see a spark. Maybe because I'm in the sun.
But sprayed fuel starter and started right away.
Do you think it would make a difference to start if the belt jumped a tooth?
Thanks for all your help.

CLC
Old 10-19-2017

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by clc
But sprayed fuel starter and started right away.

A full week later......

Originally Posted by ezone
Got data list? What is ECT temp during the no start?
Originally Posted by ezone
I bet you could have bought a pretty decent scanner and a $3 test light for what you spent on the pump
Old 10-19-2017
clc
Registered!!

Not all of us are as savvy and shrewd as others are.
Lucky for us to have people like you who are willing to share their knowledge and experience to help out the less fortunate ones.
Old 10-19-2017

Originally Posted by clc
Not all of us are as savvy and shrewd as others are.
Lucky for us to have people like you who are willing to share their knowledge and experience to help out the less fortunate ones.
You gotta understand something here....I'm not the average forum user.
I'm a master certified tech who works for a Honda dealership, and I'm a troubleshooter first and foremost.

I don't make my living by guessing and firing the parts cannon. If I suspect something is a problem, I can almost always find a way to test and prove it.

A GOOD scanner can be an extremely powerful tool in the hands of the right person. I like to troubleshoot as much as I possible can while sitting in the comfort of the drivers seat.

I tend to approach problems in these forums the same way I do at work.....I know some don't care for my approach, most just want a silver bullet that will solve their problem....and much of the time that sort of fix just isn't possible without the poster doing a bunch of legwork.....unless one wants to guess and sling parts.