Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Timing Belt Shenanigans

Old 09-18-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
5.0Thunder is a jewel in the rough5.0Thunder is a jewel in the rough5.0Thunder is a jewel in the rough5.0Thunder is a jewel in the rough
Timing Belt Shenanigans

I was reading up on some Timing Belt info (for later) and read about a trick some people use when their timing belt is off a tooth.

They'll take a credit card or two and run them between the belt and cam pulley by inserting it between and wrenching the crank bolt over. The cards run between the belt and pulley then they use a wrench on the cam bolt to rotate the cam while the belt (and crank) stays still. Then they yank or run the cards out.

Has anybody here done this?? Might be a quick way to fix a timing issue rather than digging in and removing the tensioner/spring.

Obviously not the way Honda would prefer but if it works........?
Old 09-18-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Timing Belt Shenanigans

Might be a quick way to fix a timing issue rather than
Why would a timing belt become "off by a tooth" in the first place?

If the car did it, it's broken and you need to find out why.

If you're replacing a timing belt and did it yourself, you SHOULD have discovered it as soon as you rotated the crank and rechecked your marks BEFORE continuing the job of reassembly. Super easy to correct it before it's all reassembled.

But yeah if you can back off the tensioner sometimes you can slip past teeth to move timing. Probably more work than it's worth.
Old 09-19-2017
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by ezone

If you're replacing a timing belt and did it yourself, you SHOULD have discovered it as soon as you rotated the crank and rechecked your marks BEFORE continuing the job of reassembly. Super easy to correct it before it's all reassembled.

who would ever think to use common sense eh?
Old 09-19-2017
Registered!!

5.0Thunder is a jewel in the rough5.0Thunder is a jewel in the rough5.0Thunder is a jewel in the rough5.0Thunder is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by ezone

But yeah if you can back off the tensioner sometimes you can slip past teeth to move timing. Probably more work than it's worth.
Lol I knew your questioning of the initial reason was coming.

Who knows breh! How many posts have there been about people's car being mis-timed? I imagine more than 0? lol

Maybe the person thought they were lined up and buttoned the engine back up without double checking, or maybe a shop did the job and person doesn't want to take it back to them for fear of further damage.

I saw a post from a guy that said the marks on his cam gear were in a slightly different location and caused him to mess it up (he realigned by disassembling later).

my post wasn't about why it is that way, but rather the method itself.

Originally Posted by mikey1
who would ever think to use common sense eh?
Is it so common anymore? lol
Old 09-19-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Lol I knew your questioning of the initial reason was coming.

Who knows breh! How many posts have there been about people's car being mis-timed? I imagine more than 0? lol
I did watch one guy cut up a plastic gallon jug and use that to jump the timing belt a tooth or two on the cam gear

I think it took almost as much time to do that as it would have taken to just dive in and get it over with the right way.

Maybe the person thought they were lined up and buttoned the engine back up without double checking, or maybe a shop did the job and person doesn't want to take it back to them for fear of further damage.
I personally always just slam them back together without double checking my work, because I'm perfect and never screw up.

Kidding. I've probably made more mistakes than anyone else on the forum.
Old 09-20-2017
Registered!!

Lol it's all about the percentages mayn. When you touch 1000 cars a year, you may mess up on 5 of them. I'll mess up on 1 car but I might just own 1.

Ezone = 0.5% failure rate
Thunder = 100% failure rate

Search this Thread