Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Engine Swap Car Stalls in Reverse and Drive

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CivicCNG is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Engine Swap Car Stalls in Reverse and Drive

Hi guys, I replaced the engine in my 2005 CNG Civic after the original motor failed due to rod knock. After the swap the car idled fine in park, but as soon as it was put into Reverse or Drive it would stall. I was able to keep the engine from stalling by pressing the gas pedal a bit, and was also able to drive this way, similar to what you would expect from a manual transmission.

I drove it like that for a few weeks before I encountered another engine failure. I decided to get a low mileage motor and transmission, thinking it would solve the stalling problem in addition to replacing the motor. However, after swapping the new motor and transmission in, the motor runs beautifully but still stalls in Reverse and Drive unless I give it a bit of gas.

The thing that really gets me is before the initial motor blew, it would idle fine in Reverse and Drive. Not sure where to start looking for problems as I have no check engine light, but any input would be greatly appreciated.
Old 09-18-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Engine Swap Car Stalls in Reverse and Drive

Could you have gotten some transmission solenoid connectors swapped to the wrong places?
Old 09-18-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CivicCNG is an unknown quantity at this point

Great point, are some of the connections identical? I tried to connect it back up the way it was, but it's entirely possible I switched plugs.
Old 09-18-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, Honda issued information specifically addressing this issue on CVT trans in various years of HX, GX, hybrid, and Insight cars.

Connectors for the start clutch pressure control solenoid and the drive pulley pressure control solenoid may have been switched.