Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Weird Key/FOB Situation

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rockyrock is an unknown quantity at this point
Weird Key/FOB Situation

Someday I'll post the story of this Civic but for now here is my situation:

2005 Civic LX SD

I have the following:
-key x1 that starts the car
-key x2 that open the doors & trunk
-FOB x1 that unlocks/locks door
-FOB x1 not programed yet

The 2 keys are new programable blanks that I purchased online. I took them to the dealer to have them cut & then coded. I was having an ECU installed so timing was good.

Turns out a previous owner had changed out the ignition but not the door/trunk locks. The new keys were cut according to the pattern on file with the VIN--which wasn't updated with the new ignition. Now I have two keys that open the trunk and doors but won't start my car. Lame. The dealer was cool and didn't charge me for the cut so I'm only out $12 for the cost of the blanks.

They said the only way to solve my problem is to start with a new blank and trace the exsisting key, which apparently isn't an exact science. I imagine I could by a clone blank and do it that way as well but then I'm still left with doors/trunk that are incompatable.

What is my best solution here to end up with one key that starts the car and unlocks/locks the doors/trunk? Rekey the doors and trunk to the ignition? Hope the cloned blank works so I can have a spare.

While I figure this out, I will be attempting to program the new FOB...
Old 08-02-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Weird Key/FOB Situation

If your dealer can't even trace a good key on their machine and have it turn the lock, that's lame.
Check another dealer.
Check local lock shops, call and ask if they can handle getting and cutting Hondas sidewinder keys, and immobilizer system programming. (my local lock shop doesn't do 'foreign' cars)

Fob programming is DIY, you can do it.

Yes someone replaced your ignition lock for some reason.

It's much cheaper to just deal with 2 keys on your keyring than to retumble locks.......IMO

My preference would be to retumble the ignition lock cylinder to match the original key code (same as door and trunk) and program the key(s) accordingly. Cost will be high IF your dealer can even do it. Some completely refuse to do it that way, some don't even know it's possible, and some simply don't have anyone who is capable.

another option (not recommended)....take apart the ignition lock, remove all of the tumblers....any key or screwdriver would be able to turn it, including the keys that fit the door.... but the engine won't be allowed to start without the correctly programmed key even if someone tries it with a screwdriver.
Old 08-03-2017
Registered!!

There is a another dealer not far, I'll run it by them.

As long as I have a working fob, I don't need the door/trunk keys. I can always hide-a-key one of them just in case. Motivation to program the new fob ASAP.

Thanks for the advice, I'll ask if they can retumble the ig to match.

More to ad to the "craigslist special" saga...
Old 08-03-2017
Registered!!

Sorry, I just realized this should be in the 7th gen section...sorry not sure how I did that.
Old 08-03-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rockyrock

As long as I have a working fob, I don't need the door/trunk keys.
Ya, that works up until the battery goes dead or the power locks quit working.......

Originally Posted by rockyrock
Sorry, I just realized this should be in the 7th gen section...sorry not sure how I did that.
Moved thread