Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Did something dumb today.

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
juror will become famous soon enough
Did something dumb today.

Well, only one thing that I know of, anyway...

The A/C has been out for a while. With help from the forum, I narrowed it down to a loss of refrigerant charge. Recharging is beyond what I have tools to do (specifically a gauge set), so I took it to a shop to have them take a look.

They determined that the condensor was shot, and gave me an estimate. Having previously replaced the radiator, I offered to pay them for their time (which they graciously declined) and bring it back once I replaced the condensor, which they said they were fine with.

So this morning, I undid the 4 panel fasteners on the top, the 6 on the bottom, the two screws, and tugged the bumper cover free. And if you've done this before, you already know where this is going.

Yup, I forgot to remove the bolts in the wheel well. Since it's a pretty good tug to release the clips, I ripped the tabs those bolts go through clean off.

F*ck.
So then, two questions:

1) Does this matter?
2) If so, can anybody recommend a junkyard parts search service?

On 2, I'm having no luck finding bumper covers of any color in any of New England (I'm in the Boston area), let alone trying to find one that matches our paint code. Which, by the way, we have what seems to be an unusual one: Tango Red Pearl.

Thanks. Advice and empathy welcomed, ridicule accepted; I really should have watched another youtube video instead of trusting my memory

But hey, the new condensor is in, so there's that?
Old 07-30-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Did something dumb today.

Carefully placed 4 inch deck screws could hold the corners in LOL

Plastic weld or glue/epoxy the ripped out loops, or add plastic material to make some?
They might even stay in place for a while without extra help, depending.

Local junkyard? U-pull-it yard?
www.car-part.com
Old 07-31-2017
Dr Krieger of Modification

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
mac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to behold

if your car has a modded look you could use bumper ties.

Old 07-31-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mac25
if your car has a modded look you could use bumper ties.

Hey, those really dress up the 4 inch deck screws!
Old 08-01-2017
Registered!!

Carefully placed 4 inch deck screws could hold the corners in LOL
Man, I really wish I'd checked back before I used some leftover landscape spikes I had lying around.

The nearest bumper cover on there is 180 miles away, which is a bummer. I haven't tried calling around locally, because I suspect I'm looking for a unicorn part (undamaged bumper cover in what seems to be a rare color in a junkyard? seems unlikely) and I'm not looking to paint one.

I like the plastic weld idea, and I was thinking maybe I'd reinforce it on the back side with fiberglass.

Failing that, I'll get some of those bumper ties to dress up the 4 inch deck screws

Honestly, I was hoping everybody would just tell me those were optional fasteners. You know, like that dad wisdom when you have parts left over: "If they were important, it would have been obvious where to put 'em when we were puttin' it back together".

Edited to add:

Oh, and I'm happy to report that I took the car to a shop today. They charged the system, checked it for leaks, and now the A/C works. Hooray. Thanks to everybody who has posted in a "My A/C doesn't work" thread, including mine, for the various tips that led to this getting fixed.

Last edited by juror; 08-01-2017 at 07:29 PM. Reason: Add the exciting conclusion to the A/C saga.
Old 08-01-2017
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,144 Likes on 799 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

there was a point in time where my front bumper cover was held on only by the bracket thingamabobs under the headlights and the 4 bumper clips on the radiator cover. You'll be fine.

I don't even think I have screws on those tabs as my car sits right now. Just the 4 bumper clips on the radiator cover and 3 or 5 bumper clips on the bottom.
Old 08-01-2017
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of

OP: you can't pahk the cah in the yahd looking like that.
Old 08-01-2017
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
robfarr56 is just really nicerobfarr56 is just really nicerobfarr56 is just really nicerobfarr56 is just really nice

^

OP: I hear we are in for a COLD August!
Old 08-02-2017
Dr Krieger of Modification

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
mac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by ezone
Hey, those really dress up the 4 inch deck screws!

Lol, right?!
Old 08-03-2017
Registered!!

Everybody's a comedian

Thanks for making my day!