Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

AC stopped cooling and then again started cooling

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sdraza1 is an unknown quantity at this point
AC stopped cooling and then again started cooling

We went to about 70 km away by highway, while on our way ac stopped working at perhaps 25 km and didn't come back as we drove to our destination. When coming back we turned ac on to see if it might work and started cooling and keep on running ok throughout the time while coming back home. what can by the problem. thanks
Old 07-16-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: AC stopped cooling and then again started cooling

Relay problem, clutch coil problem, clutch air gap, thermal protector, and more are possible.
Old 07-17-2017
Registered!!

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts
NDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of light

In my case, the air gap between the A/C clutch and coil became too large over time that a shim had to be removed from the shaft to close that excess gap. Now the clutch does not disengage inadvertently and the A/C does not fade out while driving.
Old 07-17-2017
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by sdraza1
We went to about 70 km away by highway, while on our way ac stopped working at perhaps 25 km and didn't come back as we drove to our destination. When coming back we turned ac on to see if it might work and started cooling and keep on running ok throughout the time while coming back home. what can by the problem. thanks

you obviously have a ghost in the system
Old 07-17-2017

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikey1
you obviously have a ghost in the system
Old 07-19-2017
Registered!!

speedy25 is an unknown quantity at this point

I did have a "ghost." AC worked, then wouldnt work, then wouldnt shut off, etc!

The real culprit was the control unit failed. Got a used one and no more problems.

-SP
Old 07-07-2018
Registered!!

sdraza1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ezone
Relay problem, clutch coil problem, clutch air gap, thermal protector, and more are possible.
With any of the problems you mentioned, total compressor needs to be changed? This is what mechanic told me. thanks
Old 07-07-2018
Registered!!

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Slumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to all

If your system works for more than a few minutes at a time, it’s very unlikely a compressor issue.

Take it to a better shop...
Old 07-07-2018

Originally Posted by sdraza1
With any of the problems you mentioned, total compressor needs to be changed? This is what mechanic told me. thanks
HONDA sells all external compressor parts separately from the compressor.

My (personal) first choice is always to keep an original compressor as long as possible. As long as it has no internal problems. I very rarely need to replace compressors. I do replace clutch and coil sets very regularly.

Aftermarket normally only sells a complete compressor, you cannot buy just a clutch or coil by itself. Plus, when you buy aftermarket compressor they want you to replace additional parts or they won't honor the warranty on the compressor.

And...the aftermarket compressors I've encountered couldn't be fixed with Honda parts (clutch/coil). They weren't identical.

Aftermarket quality is a crapshoot. Many don't last...and sometimes they fail so bad it contaminates the entire AC system internally. That's not a cheap repair.

Search more in the forum. If your problem is excessive clutch gap, you may be able to remove a shim to get it working again. That's a FREE diy.
Old 07-10-2018
Registered!!

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts
NDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of light

"Search more in the forum. If your problem is excessive clutch gap, you may be able to remove a shim to get it working again. That's a FREE diy."

For me, it was $30 labour and then I had my A/C back.