Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

New AC Belt - Squeels/Whines

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JoeMetro is an unknown quantity at this point
New AC Belt - Squeels/Whines

I got a new AC Belt about 3 weeks ago and it only whines sometimes, usually when I start the car after it's been sitting and I turn on the AC.

I know I have to try adjusting it (first tightening then loosening and seeing which will make the sound go away).
But I don't know what bolt(s) is(are) used to adjust my AC Belt.

I have a 2005 Civic VP
http://imgur.com/7ooAuxf
Old 07-13-2017
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GusBuz is a jewel in the roughGusBuz is a jewel in the roughGusBuz is a jewel in the rough
Re: New AC Belt - Squeels/Whines

Yes the belt is used for the alternator and ac compressor. You need to loosen a nut and a bolt that hold the alternator so it can move while you tighten it with the wingnut. After you get the belt tight enough just tighten the bolt on top and the long nut on the bottom.
Old 07-13-2017
Registered!!

Hey thanks for the reply. These two bolts correct?

I couldn't really get to them, what is the easiest way to access them? My guess would be to lift the front half of the car up on jack stands and go from underneath.

Also, how many turns is a good start for trouble shooting? Should I start with half turn increments, or multiple turns?
Old 07-13-2017
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GusBuz is a jewel in the roughGusBuz is a jewel in the roughGusBuz is a jewel in the rough

The best way would be to move the power steering pump out of the way. This gives you maximum room to mess with the two bolt/nut. You can also get to the bottom nut (labeled B in your pic) thru the wheel well. you will have to remove the splash shield tho.

It also helps to have ratcheting wrenches. One more thing, the wing nut bolt sucks! try using pliers or a big ol socket that can fit over it to tighten it. There isn't much room specially for the alternator wing nut.

Last edited by GusBuz; 07-13-2017 at 07:11 PM.
Old 07-13-2017
Registered!!

Alrighty, I will take a look when I next go to my car, hopefully the power steering pump is not too difficult to remove.

I do have a ratchet (thank god).

So the procedure would be loosen the two bolts on the alternator (but not removing them), tightening the wing nut (or loosening), tightening the two bolts back, starting the car and see if it worked?
Old 07-13-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

I got a new AC Belt about 3 weeks ago
I assume you did not do this work yourself.......Take it back to whomever installed it and have them readjust it?
Old 07-14-2017
Registered!!

Hey I did not, a mechanic did it for me. The thing is I have since moved about 9 hours away so that's not an option..
Old 07-19-2017
Registered!!

speedy25 is an unknown quantity at this point

It is common for a new belt to stretch a little after installation. After you get it tightened properly it should not give you any more grief.

+2 on ratchet wrenches being great for belt adjustment work. Often there isnt enough room for a socket to loosen the pulley nut.

-SP