Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Crank/Cam Position Sensor

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
jessica19699 is an unknown quantity at this point
Crank/Cam Position Sensor

Hello I have a question I have a 2004 Civic LX does it have both a cam and a crank position sensor or one or the other and if so can someone tell me where they are located on the engine? Thanks in advanced
Old 07-11-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Crank/Cam Position Sensor

It has both

both are located within the timing belt area of the engine
Old 07-12-2017
Registered!!

ezone,

Thanks for the reply I was just making sure i'm having mine replaced and the mechanic told me there was both and that he had to take the wheel the inner wheel splash guard,alternator belt ect off to get to them and I just wanted to make sure he wasnt trying to rip me off, thanks again for the info have a great day
Old 07-12-2017
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by jessica19699
ezone,

Thanks for the reply I was just making sure i'm having mine replaced and the mechanic told me there was both and that he had to take the wheel the inner wheel splash guard,alternator belt ect off to get to them and I just wanted to make sure he wasnt trying to rip me off, thanks again for the info have a great day

it sounds like he is being honest,

but the bigger question is....why do you need both those sensors replaced?

what is the reasoning?

both would never fail at the same time
Old 07-12-2017
Registered!!

The car has a ruff idle and seems to not have a lot of power when pushing the gas pedal it takes awhile to gain speed it seems and it stalls sometimes while idling and it is not starting sometimes also,I researched online and all the symptoms the car is having are what the crank position sensor does when it is about to fail, I got a deal on both of them so I figured replace them both since he is under the hood anyway. The check engine light didn't come on and I got no code but I also read that its not unheard of that the engine light doesn't come on in these cases either.
Old 07-12-2017
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by jessica19699
The car has a ruff idle and seems to not have a lot of power when pushing the gas pedal it takes awhile to gain speed it seems and it stalls sometimes while idling and it is not starting sometimes also

failure of either of those sensors would not cause this,

you would get a CEL if either of those sensors were faulty

is the problem corrected?
Old 07-12-2017
Registered!!

i just paid to have them both replaced and it seems to pretty much ride the way it did before although I just got it back and haven't really drove it a lot yet the idle kind of sounds the same as it did before I will see how it does going to work tomorrow, does anyone have any ideas of what else could be the issue here
Old 07-12-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

I got a deal on both of them
Discount quality parts are rarely a bargain when they crap the bed prematurely and cost you dearly.

If your engine consistently runs poorly, even without any codes it should be relatively easy for an experienced professional to diagnose the problem.
The problem will be finding the right expert who can do this. Very few in the field can do this without resorting to guesswork. The repair industry is full of parts replacers and guessers.
Old 07-13-2017
Registered!!

Discount quality parts are rarely a bargain when they crap the bed prematurely and cost you dearly.

ezone, you hit the nail on the head with this quote the parts I got online were a waste they didn't even work and I had to end up buying the same parts from a local auto parts supplier for top dollar, After driving the car today to work it does ride a lot better it seems to have more power when accelerating and idle seems ok I will ride it for a few more days to see how it does ,i'm still not sure what else it could be if it wasn't the crank sensor I was told maybe the fuel filter might be bad ,then I was told that was in the gas tank and Honda says they almost never go bad very rare cases do they ever get replaced, I changed the spark plugs to but I didn't change the wires though ..YET !
Old 07-13-2017
Registered!!

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts
NDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of light

Best to use the OEM NGK Platinum spark plugs for best results. No Bosch or cheapo.
Other ideas are running a bottle of fuel-injector cleaner in the fuel, replace your air filter and clean your throttle body and/or idle air control valve to smooth out the idle.
Old 07-13-2017
Registered!!

Thanks NDNV for the reply I will certainly check these out I have done the fuel injector cleaner in the gas tank already and I got a new air filter already. I will try to clean the throttle body and/or idle air control valve now, thanks again