Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Front passenger power window stopped functioning

Old 07-10-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tester is an unknown quantity at this point
Front passenger power window stopped functioning

Hi,

about a week ago I noticed that the front passenger window of my 2001 Civic stopped functioning without any reason.
I automatically assumed that the problem might be a blown fuse. I checked the under the wheel fuse box compartment and indeed, the fuse responsible for the window was blown. I immediately replaced the fuse with the one from the rear window (same 20A amperage). As soon as I pressed on the button to lower the window, the window was only able to go down about 20% and then got stuck again.
I was able to wiggle it with my hands but not bring it all the way up. I checked the fuse and boom, BLOWN again. I then took the fuse from the other rear window and put it in its place. As soon as I switch on the ignition, the window automatically rolls up the shuts. I try to lower the window, but was not able to. I Check the fuse and boom, it is blown again

I went to Walmart and got new fuses to replace the ones on my rear windows which work fine now. I tried once more to put a working fuse in the malfunctioning front passenger window and it still won't work.

I hear no particular humming when pressing the button to operate the window. I did some research online and found that I might need to replace the whole motor assembly and regulator.

Was wondering if anyone experienced a similar problem and whether something else might be the cause of this issue.

Thanks..
Old 07-10-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Front passenger power window stopped functioning

As soon as I switch on the ignition, the window automatically rolls up the shuts.
A window switch button (or contacts inside the switch) may be stuck on, or a wire shorted to ground is causing the window motor to run by itself?
A wire diagram and voltmeter/test light and some thinking may be required.

I would expect the motor is still functional because it is doing what it is told electrically. You could probably disconnect the wiring from the window motor and run it manually using jumper wires.

Search this Thread