Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Fuel gauge stopped working and radio gives error code after a head gasket change

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Baris is an unknown quantity at this point
Fuel gauge stopped working and radio gives error code after a head gasket change

Hello everyone,

I am new here and was hoping to get some opinions. I have 2004 Honda Civic Coupe. I have been experiencing an overheating problem for quite some time and my local mechanic wasn't able to address the problem. Later, it turned out that head gasket was coming off and it needed to get it changed. I have been really happy with my car and this was the first major problem that I got since I own the car, which is almost 4 years now. So, I did go ahead get the head gasket changed. I drove the car a few days and everything looked Ok, until today.

I have just realized that fuel gauge seems stopped working. Also, when I try to play the radio it doesn't work and it says "code" on the screen. It didn't make much sense for me and I was hoping to get some opinions to see if these problems are related to the last mechanic job? Thank you very much in advance.
Old 06-18-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Fuel gauge stopped working and radio gives error code after a head gasket change

Battery was disconnected to do the work.
Radio has to be unlocked now using the correct 5 digit code.
Code card in glovebox or owners manual pouch? White sticker on the glovebox door? Could have 5 digit code or could have a serial number without the code.

https://radio-navicode.honda.com/

Fuel gauge, IDK. Could be a sending unit, could be rodent damage....needs checked out further.
Old 06-18-2017
Registered!!

Baris is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Fuel gauge stopped working and radio gives error code after a head gasket change

Hello Ezone,

Thank you very much for the radio solution. I will try that. It seems like I may need to take the car back to the mechanic shop for the fuel gauge.
Old 06-18-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Search for gauge cluster self diagnosis....During this check all of the gauge needles are supposed to make a full sweep....if your fuel gauge does not react to this check that would mean the cluster is bad.
Old 06-18-2017
No Fracs Given

FracKen is an unknown quantity at this point

I would also check the plug on the sending unit plug. I had this issue at one point after doing some work where I was pulling on the harness behind the head and pulled the wire loose. The sending unit is at the front of the transmission on the firewall side of the engine, It stands straight up from the tranny. Make sure the plug is seated and also the wires are still in the plug.