Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

2003 Civic Hybrid: CVT Issues-Code P0700

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Straydog68 is an unknown quantity at this point
2003 Civic Hybrid: CVT Issues-Code P0700

I have a 2003 Honda Civic Hybrid that was attacked by some squirrels. They chewed up my engine harness. As a result, I replaced the harness and ensured all the connectors were seated. Since then, when I start the car, I put it in any gear and nothing happens. When shifting from Park to Reserve, it hits a bit hard and when shifting into neutral I get the same clunk. If I leave it in gear (reverse, drive, etc) after a couple minutes it start flasing the "D" light and I am able to put it in any gear and it works. Last, the engine light is on the whole time.

Before the attack, the car would have a light shudder when giving it gas from a dead stop.

I pulled the codes and get P0700 & P0500 (I dont think this one is related.) Also, the doors do not lock with the key fob and the door light does not turn on when opening the drivers door.

I have checked all the fuses inside and out. I plan on checking the connectors to the computer and hope that one isnt seated and it solves everything.

I appreciate any assistance.
Old 06-03-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2003 Civic Hybrid: CVT Issues-Code P0700

P0700 & P0500
P0700 is a generic "transmission related fault" code, that usually indicates there is a transmission specific code stored that *some* scanners won't automatically read and display.

P0500 is a VSS code, definitely transmission related.
However....
Straight up P0500 might be only seen on a manual trans car, and from your post I gather you have the CVT trans.
A car with CVT trans should be showing P0501, P0502, or something other than just P0500.

Try a different code reader just for giggles? A more exact code might lead one directly to the source of trouble.

Check all 4 of the speed sensors (2 for shaft speeds, 2 for pulley speeds) on the trans case for being properly connected, connectors fully seated and latched, bent pin in a sensor connection, that sort of thing.

Make SURE you didn't get any connectors swapped, connecting to wrong sensors can lead to all sorts of control unit confusion.