Engine Post your engine related problems in this section. Engines will cover from Fuel, Engine, Cooling, Exhaust physical related items.

Check Engine Light, Code "P1457"

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2017
Registered!!

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts
NDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Check Engine Light, Code "P1457"

Using aftermarket parts can sometime yield a different outcome than OEM.
For instance if you look at the 1, 2 and 3 star reviews on the link you provided, you will see that this part did not solve their particular issue.

"Did not work with my 2004 Honda CRV. Engine light did not come off. Replaced with an OE Honda part and that fixed the issue. No engine light anymore."

I used OEM Honda By-Pass Shut Valve and Canister to solve my P1457 code.
Old 09-20-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bulls2030 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by NDNV
Using aftermarket parts can sometime yield a different outcome than OEM.
For instance if you look at the 1, 2 and 3 star reviews on the link you provided, you will see that this part did not solve their particular issue.

"Did not work with my 2004 Honda CRV. Engine light did not come off. Replaced with an OE Honda part and that fixed the issue. No engine light anymore."

I used OEM Honda By-Pass Shut Valve and Canister to solve my P1457 code.
Thanks for your help. I can order the OEM. But there are a lot of people that have had success with that part from the reviews for the 7th gen civic.

Just wondering though, if this aftermarket part didn't work, wouldn't I get the same code, P1457? Now I am getting code P0497 (EVAP Low Purge Flow).
Also, I didn't bolt on one screw to the vapor cannister (see here: https://imgur.com/a/BCxI7). Could it be because of the vapor canister you think?

Just want to get some advice before I decide to order a OEM parts. Thanks for your help and advice.
Old 09-20-2017
Registered!!

Anyone?
Old 09-20-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

IDK. Recheck your work.
If you got a low flow code now, I'd suspect the system can't detect any vacuum being pulled on the canister or tank for some reason.....like you forgot to connect the small purge vacuum line at the back of the canister, or you didn't get one of the larger lines fully seated and sealed.... or maybe the new part is junk

A good service manual will have troubleshooting procedures to help you diagnose it.

You can power up the new valve and do a functional and flow/vacuum check on it to see if it actually turns on and seals or not.

Honda calls that the "Canister Vent Shut" or CVS valve.
Old 09-21-2017
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
IDK. Recheck your work.
If you got a low flow code now, I'd suspect the system can't detect any vacuum being pulled on the canister or tank for some reason.....like you forgot to connect the small purge vacuum line at the back of the canister, or you didn't get one of the larger lines fully seated and sealed.... or maybe the new part is junk

A good service manual will have troubleshooting procedures to help you diagnose it.

You can power up the new valve and do a functional and flow/vacuum check on it to see if it actually turns on and seals or not.

Honda calls that the "Canister Vent Shut" or CVS valve.
Thanks Ezone for your reply.

I guess I'll order the OEM canister and CVS Valve from majestic honda online and try it again. (i can return the Dorman one I bought from amazon). It's possible I might have missed something.

Do you know the exact number of hoses that I should have connected back to the canister and the number of ports I should have reconnected? so I make sure I have connected everything when I open it back up?
Old 09-21-2017
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by bulls2030

Do you know the exact number of hoses that I should have connected back to the canister and the number of ports I should have reconnected? so I make sure I have connected everything when I open it back up?

its really not that difficult.....just look around for loose hoses before you install the cannister, i cant really remember how many hoses there are
Old 09-21-2017
Registered!!

Originally Posted by mikey1
its really not that difficult.....just look around for loose hoses before you install the cannister, i cant really remember how many hoses there are
Thanks Guys!
Old 09-21-2017
Registered!!

One more thing, how is your experience with Majestic Honda in terms of shipping time etc? I am out in Chicago so wanted to get an idea of how long it would take. Or if there is another cheaper option with faster shipping time that you guys have experience with.
Old 09-21-2017

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

The same number you disconnected!
And make sure all of them are connected fully, completely, correctly, etc.

One more thing, how is your experience with Majestic Honda in terms of shipping time etc? I am out in Chicago so wanted to get an idea of how long it would take. Or if there is another cheaper option with faster shipping time that you guys have experience with.
Bill Kay Honda is right near you...

bkhondaparts.com/

If you want to shop price I think all of these are within pennies of each other and well below MSRP, but shipping can be killer sometimes so check it all out

hondapartsnow
hondapartscheap
bkhondaparts
hondaautomotiveparts
hondapartsconnection
.com/

I'm sure there are more dealerships selling online at wholesale prices if you search
Old 09-21-2017
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
The same number you disconnected!
And make sure all of them are connected fully, completely, correctly, etc.

Bill Kay Honda is right near you...

bkhondaparts.com/

If you want to shop price I think all of these are within pennies of each other and well below MSRP, but shipping can be killer sometimes so check it all out

hondapartsnow
hondapartscheap
bkhondaparts
hondaautomotiveparts
hondapartsconnection
.com/

I'm sure there are more dealerships selling online at wholesale prices if you search
Thanks Ezone! I didn't know about Bill Kay Honda. Have you had good experience with them? I did google them so they are an actual dealer so thats good.
Old 09-21-2017

Have you had good experience with them?
I buy my Genuine Honda parts where I work.
Old 09-22-2017
Registered!!

So I am ordering the parts. I think I am not going to change the Canister right now.
I was wondering if anyone can recommend a way for me to somehow "glue" the CVS valve to the canister. There are two screws that hold the CVS valve to the canister. When I was removing the old CVS valve, i was only able to get one of them out and the other came out with the threads (hence cant put a screw in that one). So if I am going to jack it up and check and replace with an OEM CVS valve, I just want to make sure I do it right this time.

Any recommendations on how to "glue" it?
Old 09-22-2017
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

So I am ordering the parts. I think I am not going to change the Canister right now.
I was wondering if anyone can recommend a way for me to somehow "glue" the CVS valve to the canister. There are two screws that hold the CVS valve to the canister. When I was removing the old CVS valve, i was only able to get one of them out and the other came out with the threads (hence cant put a screw in that one). So if I am going to jack it up and check and replace with an OEM CVS valve, I just want to make sure I do it right this time.

Any recommendations on how to "glue" it?
you could try a small self tapping screw into the plastic, as long as it doesn't pierce right through into the cannister,

or put some silicone around the "nose" before you insert it, silicone when dry holds very strong, almost like glue,

in all honesty one screw should be enough, as long as its not going to fall off
Old 09-22-2017
Registered!!

you could try a small self tapping screw into the plastic, as long as it doesn't pierce right through into the cannister,

or put some silicone around the "nose" before you insert it, silicone when dry holds very strong, almost like glue,

in all honesty one screw should be enough, as long as its not going to fall off
Thanks!

You are recommending silicone around the nose of the screw hole, correct?
Old 09-22-2017
The legs in the public bathroom stall

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
mcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to behold

I wouldn't do that. Too much potential to leak, crack, work itself loose, etc.... I have had the canister solenoid cable/zip tied to the canister on the car my mother drives for about 4 years. 1 screw and 1 heavy duty zip tie wrapped around the valve works good.

I wouldn't glue the unit in with silicone either.
Old 09-22-2017
Registered!!

Originally Posted by mcnoople
I wouldn't do that. Too much potential to leak, crack, work itself loose, etc.... I have had the canister solenoid cable/zip tied to the canister on the car my mother drives for about 4 years. 1 screw and 1 heavy duty zip tie wrapped around the valve works good.

Thanks for your reply.
I wouldn't glue the unit in with silicone either.
can you explain how you zip tied it in a little more detail?
Old 09-25-2017
Registered!!

Titt is an unknown quantity at this point

Drill through horizontally + two small zip ties
Name:  sWC9V3K.png
Views: 4236
Size:  537.8 KB
Old 09-25-2017

If you have a long one or put several short ones together you can wrap it all the way around the canister to hold the valve on.

Be creative.
Old 09-30-2017
Registered!!

To provide an update for my issue:

I first replaced the CVS valve (an aftermarket one) with one screw holding it on the canister and that didnt do the trick. I got code P0497. So I am not sure it got sealed properly.

So now I put a new CVS Valve (From Honda) and replaced the Vapor Canister as well (bought from oreilly autoparts). It has been 230 miles and 1 week and I my CEL did not come on! Sweet!

Took it from emissions test today in Chicago and it passed!

My advice for anyone that looks to do this in the future is,
1) Buy OEM CVS Valve from Honda
2) Replace the Vapor Canister too. The bolts are so rusted that its hard to put a new CVS Valve on the stock one.
3) The Bolt to remove the Canister is a PAIN IN THE BUTT to remove. It took my uncle and I a long time to remove that. Before you attempt to remove it, go and buy that bolt and the screws that hold the CVS on the canister from your local honda dealership because it is almost impossible to reuse (they cost like less than $5 combined).

Just wanted to thank everyone for there help on here that helped me!. I am a DIY person but never attempted anything like this before. Wanted to provide some encouragement for anyone that has this code and needs to get it fixed.
Old 02-18-2020
Registered!!

mikem317 should not be trusted

Has anyone completed this repair and then received a P1456 error code? I was experiencing a P1457 on a 2004 Honda Civic EX and replaced the Canister Shut Valve (OEM Honda) and a generic vapor canister from Advanced Auto. All seemed to work just fine and the P1457 error code went away after clearing it. However, after about 60 miles later, I'm seeing a a pending P1456 code. Wondering if some pressure was released when I replaced the valve and/or the canister? Maybe just need to refill the fuel tank to see if it re-pressurizes?
Old 02-18-2020
Registered!!

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts
NDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of light

I would clear the code P1456. Fill the tank and make sure fuel cap is tightened at least 3 clicks. See if P1456 comes back.
Old 02-18-2020
Super Moderator

Received 1,848 Likes on 1,300 Posts
BrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud of

The only time I ever saw a P1456 was when a critter chewed through the wiring for the EVAP bypass solenoid (purge valve).
Old 02-29-2020
Registered!!

mikem317 should not be trusted

Thanks everyone. My P1456 error was due to a bad fuel cap. I can screw it on and then pull on it and it comes right off. It does click but it's a fast click. Ended up using a old fuel cap and it cleared after 2 or 3 drive cycles, maybe 60 miles. Can't believe that this happened right after fixing the P1457 error. The bad fuel cap was marketed as a genuine Honda on Ebay but I think it's counterfeit as the seller isn't responding to my emails. I replaced it thinking that was the original source of the P1457.

For the P1457, I replaced the canister with a generic one from Advanced Auto (around $65) and a Honda OEM canister shut valve (around $50). I also replaced the 2 screws for the valve and the bolt for the canister. I was able to get the hose stay off the original canister but probably should have bought that too as it was really rusty.

All is well!