Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

idle vibration/sputter but drives fine

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: idle vibration/sputter but drives fine

The drivers and passengers (left and right) side (or upper) mounts support the weight of the engine and transmission. The engine is the source of vibration so it gets the hydraulic dampened mount.

The front and rear subframe mounts act as the torque limiters, to control or limit the amount of drivetrain rock as you accelerate and decelerate.
They don't really support the weight of the drivetrain at a standstill but they get a workout every time you accelerate.

By putting washers/spacers under the hydraulic mount bracket, won't it just further compress the mount and risk damage?
IMO no, the only goal (as a test) is to space the upper bracket higher so it's not sitting on the base of the hyd. mount, and vibration isn't transmitted into the body (chassis)

I think your lifting the engine up and noticing the vibes disappear pretty much proved it's a mount issue.

Last edited by ezone; 05-26-2017 at 06:44 PM.
Old 05-29-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
5.0Thunder is a jewel in the rough5.0Thunder is a jewel in the rough5.0Thunder is a jewel in the rough5.0Thunder is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Colin42
yep they're toast, when my front mount was broken my other mounts were still ok, make sure you tighten the bolts all the way or you'll get some weird noises
Originally Posted by ezone
The drivers and passengers... a mount issue.
Good news boys. I snagged a new front mount and installed it. When I did this it lifted the engine a little yet the hydraulic "upper" mount bracket was still super close to the body so looking further into it, I noticed that the nuts that secure the bracket down were loose and the bracket wasn't tightly locked down, allowing it to sag down to the body.

I raised the engine a little and snugged it down and now all looks perfect. Good clearance between the bracket and body and the car is smooth as silk again. engine barely shakes in the bay and no more pulsing at idle.

This is a big win! I appreciate you two sticking with me on this and helping out!
Old 05-30-2017
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,126 Likes on 941 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

Glad to hear it!
Old 06-02-2017
Grey hair

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CharlieDee is an unknown quantity at this point

My recently acquired 01 LX had a rough idle also. Not knowing the history I replaced all mounts, like butta now.