Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

JDM D17A2 Motor Swap

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
B1Minus is an unknown quantity at this point
JDM D17A2 Motor Swap

Just had a friend of mine swap out the original motor in my 2001 Civic EX with a JDM D17A2 motor. Motor runs great. Just have one issue and I am not sure if it's related to motor swap. Went to turn my AC on and compressor would not engage. I checked pressure and it was low on refrigerant. Filled it up with AC on and compressor kicked on and starting making a hell of a banging noise. Immediately turned it off. Took it to ASE certified mechanic and had him replace all components on AC system including new compressor. As soon as he turned it on, new compressor started making the same banging noise. Took compressor back and got another new one, he installed and again, the same banging noise. He just put a 3rd new one in for me, this time I got it from a different vendor, but with the same result, same banging noise. Mechanic said he was stumped. My question, is the JDM motor swap causing the AC compressor issues??? Any help/advice would be appreciated
Old 06-01-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: JDM D17A2 Motor Swap

Took it to ASE certified mechanic and had him replace
Did you dictate this work be done, or did your mechanic diagnose this as being needed? Or was guessing involved?

all components on AC system including new compressor.
What exactly does "all components" include?

Mechanic said he was stumped.
Mechanic is broken, replace with known good?

My question, is the JDM motor swap causing the AC compressor issues???
Not if I did the work.
But none of us on a forum can vouch for work anyone else does.
I've seen some people go to great effort to complicate really simple stuff.

Was it working/cooling, but just noisy?
If not cooling, got any pressure readings from the operating AC system?

Is the compressor mounting bracket securely attached to the engine?
ALL bolts were installed and threaded in correctly? Not just tight, but actually clamping the part down (I've seen bolt holes rusted so bad that bolts wouldn't thread into them cleanly, then the bolts were hammered down until they broke)

Is the compressor securely attached to that mounting bracket?
Old 06-02-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
B1Minus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ezone
Did you dictate this work be done, or did your mechanic diagnose this as being needed? Or was guessing involved?

I actually asked my mechanic to replace the compressor, I figured it was bad due to the banging noise it made when it engaged

What exactly does "all components" include?

Compressor & Clutch
Receiver Drier / Accumulator
Expansion Valve / Orifice Tube / Liquid Line /w Orifice Tube
8 oz bottle of PAG Oil
Seal Kit
Condenser
Evaporator

Mechanic is broken, replace with known good?

Looking for one now

Was it working/cooling, but just noisy?
If not cooling, got any pressure readings from the operating AC system?

Not sure, I will ask mechanic when I go get my car back from him today

Is the compressor mounting bracket securely attached to the engine?
ALL bolts were installed and threaded in correctly? Not just tight, but actually clamping the part down (I've seen bolt holes rusted so bad that bolts wouldn't thread into them cleanly, then the bolts were hammered down until they broke)

Is the compressor securely attached to that mounting bracket?

I would like to think he checked all of these scenarios but who knows, will ask him today

So ezone, are you telling me the Japanese motor I had installed has nothing to do with my AC malfunction? I just thought that there might be some sort of electrical difference between the JDM and NADM causing issues with my compressors

Appreciate all your input and will definitely find a new mechanic
Old 06-02-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

So ezone, are you telling me the Japanese motor I had installed has nothing to do with my AC malfunction?
No I cannot really say that because I have no idea how someone else did their work, but in theory that would be correct.

AC is typically considered a standalone system, the only mechanical connection to the engine is the physical mounting of the compressor and its belt drive.

The engine block and head can be removed and installed in that car without opening the AC system (no discharging of freon or taking lines apart), simply unbolt the compressor from the engine and set it aside.

Would every mechanic do the job that way? I can't say.