Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

2001 Honda Civic "D" light flashing after head gasket repair

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DAVID_396 is an unknown quantity at this point
2001 Honda Civic "D" light flashing after head gasket repair

My 2001 Honda Civic D , dive light, is flashing after I replaced the head gasket after I took it to the machine shop. I took the motor out when I repaired the head gasket. Any ideas. I left the transmission in and replaced all motor and transmission mounts also. I have not driven car. Thanks. I saw a few posts about the D flashing but they related to a problem that occurred while driving. My car has a rebuilt trans that worked flawlessly before I changed the head gasket.
Old 05-18-2017
Registered!!

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts
NDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of light
Re: 2001 Honda Civic "D" light flashing after head gasket repair

A flashing D light means a problem with the powertrain system. Get the code checked and post back.
Chances are you messed up a solenoid like this thread: https://www.civicforums.com/forums/3...g-d-light.html
Old 05-18-2017
Registered!!

Originally Posted by NDNV
A flashing D light means a problem with the powertrain system. Get the code checked and post back.
Chances are you messed up a solenoid like this thread: https://www.civicforums.com/forums/3...g-d-light.html
Thank you for the reply. I did a search and didn't see that post. Will check it out and reply back what I find?
Old 05-18-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Flashing D light could be just about anything related to the transmission. Is the check engine light on as well?

If nothing is obvious upon visual checkover......

Get the fault code number....that should narrow it down to a specific part and circuit to closely inspect.

P0740/TCC is a common fault code after head gasket work, but certainly not the only possible cause. Fault codes define the problem.
Old 05-19-2017
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
Flashing D light could be just about anything related to the transmission. Is the check engine light on as well?

If nothing is obvious upon visual checkover......

Get the fault code number....that should narrow it down to a specific part and circuit to closely inspect.

P0740/TCC is a common fault code after head gasket work, but certainly not the only possible cause. Fault codes define the problem.
Yes, check engine light is on. I haven't driven car yet but I did put the car in gear. Didn't drive car. Shifted into gear with a clunk. Not mechanical sound, kinda felt like motor mount was loose. Mount is tight. Just shifts into to gear hard. Will look at car Friday. Trans was fine before I did head gasket. Head gasket was blown for a few months. Kept adding water till had time to repair.
Old 05-30-2017
Registered!!

Found and replaced the Torque Convertor Control Solenoid and the Flashing "D" on the dash light went out and the car shifts normally. Thank you guys for the help.
Old 05-30-2017
Registered!!

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts
NDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of light

Was your code P1753? It would help others reading this post with a similar issue.