Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

02 lx stalls after warmed up

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Toltec91 is an unknown quantity at this point
02 lx stalls after warmed up

Hello everyone! I just purchased an 02 civic lx, I got the vehicle with some issues off hand. Now, I was hoping that someone here could point me in a clearer direction to where to fix my issue.

I can start the car with absolutely no issues...when cold. Once the civic hits operating temp the vehicle has a tendency to stall at idle. Once to temp the car will not idle alone for more than 20-30 seconds without shutting itself off. I have gone through and cleaned the AIC and throttle body already. I was sure that would be the issue, it did not fix the issue. I noticed the ground wire was mounted to an odd place so I mounted it to the body of the car (the ground that runs from the negative terminal from the battery) I do not have experience with this model civic, could someone post an image of the ground cables? I cannot seem to find a clear image displaying where they should go. I know that this model has 3 ground wires. I know that the one from the motor to the radiator is correct. But from the battery to the frame I believe is correct. But I do not see a wire that runs to the transmission. I believe one is meant to be there.

I am at a loss for the very moment. I do not have any codes. The idle is relatively stable. Although after moving the ground wire and tightening the a/c belt the idle now has a 300+ or - fluctuation occasionally. Still stalls almost every time the vehicle stops. It has good power to the starter for the first or second attempt. After a few stalls in a row the starter does struggle a bit.

I have also checked the coolant and there is no air. I will check the antifreeze % later today. If the previous owner put too much full strength could that cause any issues with the vehicle running correctly?

Other than this I am having some other electrical issues, mainly the power locks are intermittent and the power windows will not run on any of the switches (none of the 4 doors) BUT the auto roll down works and does not roll up or down. I am blowing the fuse for one of the p/w I believe #22 the driver one. I replaced this fuse and went to roll down the rear window and my switches began smoking. the fuse did not blow, not until I pressed the driver window button again. Could you please link me to a wiring diagram for both the fuse box/underdash area as well as the driver door wiring diagram?

Thank you for taking a look at this and I will come back with any updated that I find out. I will fix these problems! I am determined!
Old 05-18-2017
Registered!!

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts
NDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of light
Re: 02 lx stalls after warmed up

You could search on "bad fuel pump relay" and/or "stalls when warm" to see if this could be your problem.