Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Overheating on cluster, cars at 180 ??

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
D17a2em2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Overheating on cluster, cars at 180 ??

My 01 civic ex cluster is showing overheating 3/4 to hot, recently I change thermostat, coolant flush, temp sensor (Honda oem parts) but the car is not actually overheating it stays at 180 ?? New to forms and the car any advice be great, thanks
Old 05-16-2017
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Overheating on cluster, cars at 180 ??

Originally Posted by D17a2em2
the car is not actually overheating it stays at 180 ??
what have you done to prove this?
Old 05-16-2017
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of

Put a hi-temp thermostat in the radiator from cold start and warm it up to operating temp..checking thermometer temps occasionally. While the radiator cap is off and at operating temp it would be a good time to check coolant flow (waterpump function) by revving engine to about 2500rpm and watching the coolant (moves in one direction) through the radiator. Just be cautious and keep your face away as much distance as possible above the radiator neck.

If temp is rising above spec range but not completely overheating the possibilities include:
1) Air in coolant system. Raise front of car on jackstands. Put climate control on max heat with fan off. Rev engine occasionally to help bleed out air bubbles from coolant.
2) Failing/weak waterpump. Inspect as mentioned above
3) Radiator fan not engaging (while idling)
4) Clogged coolant system. Generally would be either radiator or heater core.
5) Debris in front of radiator. Can also spray radiator fins (engine cold) with a garden hose to clean off. Just don't use excessive water pressure that may bend the fins. Spray front and back of radiator..might as well spray condenser fins off to while you're at it.

Last edited by Wankenstein; 05-16-2017 at 08:25 AM.
Old 05-16-2017
Registered!!

Ok I know the fans work as they should, even at idle and when the ac is on, theirs no air bubbles in in coolant. on that note how do I tell if it's the water pump failing or heater core ? The cluster coolant temp gauge is 3 lines above half, my buddy put his gauge to the car and read 180 after having the car run for awhile.(heat is very good and hot) Is it still fine to drive ? Cud it be the cluster reading the temp wrong ?? Scratching my head on this one
Old 05-16-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

3 lines above half,
Got pics?
my buddy put his gauge to the car and read 180
What kinda gauge is that?

Post pics of said "buddy".
LOL
Cud it be the cluster reading the temp wrong ?? Scratching my head on this one
Right now you need a scanner (or app) that can display live data straight out of the PCM, so we can know exactly what the PCM is seeing from its own temp sensor (ECT sensor in degrees).

Also, radiator needs to be completely full to the top. A large air pocket or a loss of less than a quart of liquid can lead to running hot, and overheating.
Old 05-16-2017
Registered!!

[img]webkit-fake-url://95409f9c-9c5b-4162-8e67-e24b67d0fa8d/imagejpeg[/img]
Old 05-16-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by D17a2em2
webkit-fake-url://.......
Image fail. Can't do it that way.