Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Speedometer doesn't work

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RoseyEm2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Speedometer doesn't work

2002 civic MT. Replaced VSS, checked alternator fuse and it's good, still not working. Could be faulty cluster?
Old 05-14-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Speedometer doesn't work

Got scanner?
Got code?
Got live VSS data on the scanner that says the VSS is registering a real speed while moving?

Do a cluster self test, see if all the needles make a sweep. If no, you have a bad cluster.
Old 05-15-2017
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
Got scanner?
Got code?
Got live VSS data on the scanner that says the VSS is registering a real speed while moving?

Do a cluster self test, see if all the needles make a sweep. If no, you have a bad cluster.
P0500
No live VSS data on the scanner reads zero.
Old 05-15-2017

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RoseyEm2
P0500
PCM set code because it found a problem with VSS signal. Therefore, problem is between transmission and PCM.

Sensor?
Wiring?
Does the transmission actually make the sensor drive gear rotate as the axles spin?

For giggles, run the cluster self test just to make sure all the needles sweep.
Old 05-15-2017
Registered!!

PCM set code because it found a problem with VSS signal. Therefore, problem is between transmission and PCM.

Sensor?
Wiring?
Does the transmission actually make the sensor drive gear rotate as the axles spin?

For giggles, run the cluster self test just to make sure all the needles sweep.
How would you tell if the ring gear is spinning in the transmission?
It was a eBay part pretty sure that has something to do with it. It later broke in half so I went back the old one. Funny thing is with the eBay sensor it never picked up a code.
Old 05-15-2017

Originally Posted by RoseyEm2
How would you tell if the ring gear is spinning in the transmission?
It was a eBay part pretty sure that has something to do with it. It later broke in half so I went back the old one. Funny thing is with the eBay sensor it never picked up a code.
WHAT broke in half? Where are the pieces?

Remove sensor,
Inspect gear on the sensor. Is it AFU? If it's ok then
connect sensor to wiring, spin sensor drive gear by hand while you watch the scanner, or while someone else watches the speedometer. Does it work?

If it will run the speedo this way (spinning it by hand) you verified it will work if the trans will spin it....so prob must be inside trans....?
look down the hole in the trans to see if the drive gear is missing from the diff carrier.

I've not seen a drive gear break, but that's me.
Old 05-15-2017
Registered!!

Remove sensor,
connect sensor to wiring, spin sensor drive gear by hand while you watch the scanner, or while someone else watches the speedometer. Does it work?

If it will run the speedo this way (spinning it by hand) you verified it will work if the trans will spin it....so prob must be inside trans....?
look down the hole in the trans to see if the drive gear is missing from the diff carrier.

Where I circled in red is what the sensor looks like and that drive gear is still there but with the eBay sensor where I circled in blue is where it broke off into 2 pieces.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20170515_215319.png
Views:	34
Size:	896.2 KB
ID:	89830  
Old 05-15-2017
Registered!!

Remove sensor,

I'm gonna try spinning the VSS later on but right now my car is in pieces from head gasket job and I don't think it would be okay to have the electrical come on while the whole engine is in pieces and such. I have a feeling that it COULD be the eBay sensor was faulty but I have no idea. It's just weird as hell. My car never gave me this amount of problems before. It's just problem after problem.
Old 05-15-2017

Ya, better wait til the head is on and the engine is together. You probably have the important PCM ground wires unbolted so that might screw up stuff.
Old 05-31-2017
Registered!!

Ya, better wait til the head is on and the engine is together. You probably have the important PCM ground wires unbolted so that might screw up stuff.
Got the head back on. Did the gauge sweep test and all gauges work.