Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Pulsing brake pedal/ no brakes

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
fabled523 is an unknown quantity at this point
Pulsing brake pedal/ no brakes

Hi everyone,

I bought a 2005 civic about a week and a half ago and haven't had any problems until this morning.

When braking lightly the brakes will work but under heavier braking (not panic braking just regular medium to hard braking) the pedal will start to pulse and get hard and then the brakes will feel like they are locking up (I don't think they actually are because of how big the stopping distance is when it happens).

The rotors look like they are in good condition (smooth with no obvious warping) although I am far from an expert.

I am currently leaning toward thinking it's an ABS issue but the ABS light is not on.

Any Ideas?

Thanks in advance
Old 02-27-2017
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of
Re: Pulsing brake pedal/ no brakes

Originally Posted by fabled523
When braking lightly the brakes will work but under heavier braking (not panic braking just regular medium to hard braking) the pedal will start to pulse and get hard and then the brakes will feel like they are locking up (I don't think they actually are because of how big the stopping distance is when it happens).

The rotors look like they are in good condition (smooth with no obvious warping) although I am far from an expert. I am currently leaning toward thinking it's an ABS issue but the ABS light is not on. Any Ideas?
Thanks in advance
Actually rotors don't warp: http://www.stoptech.com/technical-su...nd-other-myths and runout cannot be visually inpsected as it occurs in thousands-of-an-inch.
Any noticeable grooves or wear spots on rotors? How many miles on rotors and pads?
Old 02-27-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

I am currently leaning toward thinking it's an ABS issue but the ABS light is not on.
So disable the ABS pump or module to rule out ABS (to prevent it from activating).

Then recheck.

Actually rotors don't warp:
I use various lathes that say otherwise.
Old 02-28-2017
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ezone
I use various lathes that say otherwise.
Your experience and knowledge is far greater than mine. I'm just going by what I have read on several various articles:

http://www.hendonpub.com/resources/a...etails?id=1787

http://www.brakeandfrontend.com/warped-rotors-myth/

Includes warping but, good article: http://www.autotrackdaymonthly.com/i...-warped-rotors