Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

P0420 Cat code, loss of power 05 Civic DX

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rcross5 is an unknown quantity at this point
P0420 Cat code, loss of power 05 Civic DX

So about a month ago i started experiences a decrease in power of of start, almost as if the engine was bogging down. I would putt the pedal to the floor and the engine would engage, and jump foreword till up to higher gears. It would also idle really terribly and a few times shut off on me at a red light. Went to have my codes red and got P0420 Cat code and that one of the O2 sensor were bad. I changed the Cat and both 02 sensors as of yesterday, and the problem seems to be alleviated. About halfway to work this morning the check engine light came back on though, and on the way home the problems re-ensued. Any ideas what could be causing this?
Old 09-21-2016
Super Moderator

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts
Poopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of light
Re: P0420 Cat code, loss of power 05 Civic DX

Did you try an idle relearn?
Have you taken your idle air control (IAC) valve off and cleaned it?
How's your coolant looking? Mine ran like crap when my head gasket was leaking. It even backfired a few times!
Old 09-21-2016
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by rcross5
I changed the Cat and both 02 sensors as of yesterday, and the problem seems to be alleviated.
Here's a similar thread: http://mechanics.stackexchange.com/q...reshold-bank-1

(copy and pasted from another site): "I'm having the same issue - Check Engine light is on, giving me a P0420 code. Pulled off heat shield and have a crack almost all the way around the exhaust manifold. I'm patching it temporarily until I can get a new manifold/cat put in - thank god I'm a DIY or that could get expensive! I, too, wonder why Honda hasn't issued a recall for this problem. It's happened in plenty of their cars (over several models) and it strikes me as a poor design, and possibly even poor materials."

Did you purchase OEM (Denso) A/F sensors?

Last edited by Wankenstein; 09-21-2016 at 10:19 PM.
Old 09-22-2016
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,122 Likes on 937 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

What kind of cat did you put in?
These cars don't usually like cheap cats
Old 09-22-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

About halfway to work this morning the check engine light came back on though, and on the way home the problems re-ensued. Any ideas what could be causing this?
You have brand new codes, what are they?