Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Limp Mode bogging, main relay clicking.

Old 06-14-2016
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EM2661 is an unknown quantity at this point
Limp Mode bogging, main relay clicking.

Possible: bad ECM? Bad crankshaft positioning sensor?
Car turns on does this, but when when I drive past 3k Rpms car Boggs (limp mode) sometimes dies on me, battery light on, but alternator is good, all connections are good, and battery is good. isnt the alternator fuse computer controlled? can it be bad ECM causing this?

I did go into limp mode 2x before this while I was redlining (in a hurry to work/school ) but resolved when I reset ECM, now this third time it does this , read on forms it's a bad ECM but before I pay to get a ECM reprogrammed at the dealer would like to rule out as much as possible any ideas ?
Old 06-14-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Limp Mode bogging, main relay clicking.

Alternator mounting bolts were left loose and it's gonna fry the PCM (if it hasn't already) if you don't fix it.
Old 06-14-2016
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EM2661 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ezone
Alternator mounting bolts were left loose and it's gonna fry the PCM (if it hasn't already) if you don't fix it.
Not to be rude but how do you know? I actually read that somewhere about these civics, just what to know what leads you to believe that? as i read that i check everything that has to do with alternator, when in and tightens all bolts and reinstalled , same things happens which is why i think its a bad ecm, one bolt was slightly loose, but nothing major, I read that even a slightly loose bolt will not ground alternator right.

Thank you for your comment though, makes me feel confident it was that and now that its tightened i can swap out the ecm without frying it again
Old 06-14-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Not to be rude but how do you know?

i can swap out the ecm without frying it again
Now that you have the alternator bolt(s) tight you need to see if the current PCM is actually damaged before you bother buying and swapping. You DID tighten that, right?
If the car goes back to normal you save a whole bunch of time and money.

Biggest clue is if the PCM can still communicate with a scanner. If it can, chances are you caught it in time and saved the PCM.
If no communication and the weird screwy symptoms persist, it's probably a goner.