General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

Driving 4000 rpms for extended periods of time

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2005
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tronixx is an unknown quantity at this point
Driving 4000 rpms for extended periods of time

Just purchased a used '04 EX Coupe. I have a fairly lengthy commute to work of about 30 miles, mostly on an interstate. My question is, is it OK to drive for about 30 minutes at a time going close to 4000 rpms, which in my car is about 80-82 mph in 5th gear. It seems very smooth and OK at that speed, I just need to know if that is good for the long-term health and durability of the engine. In 1st or 2nd gear, if you hit 4000 rpm it feels like you are really testing the engine.

I drive on I-95 on the Florida coast, and people drive very fast. If you go 70 it feels like people are blowing your doors off.

The other question is, should 4000 rpm = 82 mph on a stock 127 hp EX Coupe? Or is something wrong. I don't remember having to rev my CRX that high to drive on the highway, I remember going 85 or 90 in that car frequently with no problems. I had installed some engine mods though, and the car was getting around 125 or 130 hp and it was a much lighter car than an '04 coupe.
Old 10-17-2005
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

tinman is just really nicetinman is just really nicetinman is just really nicetinman is just really nicetinman is just really nice
Won't hurt a thing. I do it all the time. Remember that these engines are high-reving by design.
Old 10-17-2005
Registered!!

wheamahm0n3yat is an unknown quantity at this point
sounds like my car too..... yeah.... for some reason our car revs high compare to the older models
Old 10-17-2005
Why is my vagina bleeding?

nindoo has a spectacular aura aboutnindoo has a spectacular aura about
Normal,

Civic EX has a short final drive ratio. I think you'll get better mileage at 3000rpm though.
Old 10-17-2005
Nothing works better than a Chris except a Honda.

CivicsRdBest is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsRdBest is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsRdBest is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsRdBest is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsRdBest is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsRdBest is a glorious beacon of light
Its normal. Don't worry about. When you're driving around 5.5k-6k+ constantly, well, you're probably asking for trouble at those speeds.
Old 10-17-2005
Registered!!

winnerpl is an unknown quantity at this point
It's fine, especially since it is getting good cooling going at those speeds.

On a side note, I want to commute at 80mph instead of 50max sometimes and the other times traffic!
Old 10-17-2005
DOHC i-VTEC TiMEX

aznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud of
4000 rpms for me is 75 mph =\
Old 10-17-2005
This is not my batman glass!!

saugashan should not be trustedsaugashan should not be trustedsaugashan should not be trusted
4000rpm burns gas lkike crazy
Old 10-17-2005
Ashho-san 7thgen Ninja

Ashhole will become famous soon enoughAshhole will become famous soon enough
i ran about 90+ this spring for about 200 miles, got best gas mileage since i bought the car, around 35mpg. i usually get around 30mpg

4000 for me is around 85
Old 10-17-2005
Registered!!

dacivic is an unknown quantity at this point
Beside the gas mileage I don't think you will have any problem.
Old 10-17-2005
I went to prison a boy and came out a man with a sore ass!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
QBoi is a glorious beacon of lightQBoi is a glorious beacon of lightQBoi is a glorious beacon of lightQBoi is a glorious beacon of lightQBoi is a glorious beacon of lightQBoi is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by aznboysrfr
4000 rpms for me is 75 mph =\

K20A
Old 10-18-2005
jdmtytedoridori

Al Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of lightAl Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of lightAl Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of lightAl Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of lightAl Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of lightAl Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of lightAl Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of light
you should be fine. i drive the **** outta my car everyday, i have 44k miles on it, and it hasn't given me any trouble.
Old 10-18-2005
Registered!!

LiKEaFeRiO has a spectacular aura aboutLiKEaFeRiO has a spectacular aura aboutLiKEaFeRiO has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by CivicsRdBest
Its normal. Don't worry about. When you're driving around 5.5k-6k+ constantly, well, you're probably asking for trouble at those speeds.
I drove like that from Los Angeles to San Diego...when I arrived at UCSD my temp was at 3/4, my radiator was steaming mad, and my coolant reservoir cap blew off somewhere along the way due to heat/pressure.

This was a LX auto sedan with only a SRI on a nice cool sunny day.
Car gets synthetic oil + Redline Water Wetter coolant additive which may have saved my engine?
Old 10-18-2005
Registered!!

ryangt is an unknown quantity at this point
dunno what happend to you man, i drive at least 80mph on my 115 mile commute every day. my car has 115,000 on it and it never skips a beat. Hondas are built for the rpm. in 5th the loswer rpms you run well lower than 4500-5500 you lose gas mileage, it gets great mileage at 90
Old 10-18-2005

southpasdena is an unknown quantity at this point
I have driven half way from TX to so cal at around 5k and it was alright
Old 10-18-2005
My SL65 rim, because a rim is all I can afford

Jrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to all
RPM's are a horrible measurement, here is why:

RPM's don't mean a dam thing when it comes to wear and tear, it's actually piston velocity you need to look at. Piston velocity is what causes things to break, like the rod in your Eclipse. For instance, do you think the pistons in my GSR, which has a piston stroke of 3.189," compared to my truck that has a stroke of 4.16" are going faster at 3000 RPM's? Obivously the truck with longer stroke is going to have a much higher piston velocity than the GS-R, hence the GS-R will have have less wear at 3000 RPMS than the truck.

Honda was orginally a motorcycle company, motorcycles have EXTREMELY high RPMS because of a tiny stroke. When Honda started making cars, they applied the same theory to their car engines, of course more torque is needed, so a longer stroke than a motorcycle engine is needed (longer stroke gives you more torque while larger bores generally give more Horse power, GENERALLY). But Honda engines have always had very small strokes compares to most, specially domestic cars, hence the reason Honda's are known for not having much torque.

So getting back to the ware issue; since the piston velocity is slowwer at the same RPM's, Honda can generally take a higher RPMS than most cars, without having a problem. Going 4-5k is like going 3.5 to 4 in most American cars, you won't hurt it those ranges. Hitting the redline daily still is not a good idea though.

That being said, there is another VERY important issue to wear and tear, you engine oil. If you have recently changed the oil, you will cause less wear than if you are at the end of the oils useful life. I can make some reccomendations as to what you should and should not do, and the best oils to use, but that's a different post But just remember that your engine is better proteced after an oil change rather than after say 7,500 miles.

Last edited by Jrfish007; 10-18-2005 at 12:07 PM.
Old 10-18-2005
"mmmBAHHHH" - vtec y0

mugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond repute
between 3k and 4k for me is 75-85
Old 10-18-2005
jdmtytedoridori

Al Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of lightAl Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of lightAl Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of lightAl Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of lightAl Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of lightAl Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of lightAl Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by Jrfish007

RPM's don't mean a dam thing when it comes to wear and tear, it's actually piston velocity you need to look at. Piston velocity is what causes things to break, like the rod in your Eclipse. For instance, do you think the pistons in my GSR, which has a piston stroke of 3.189," compared to my truck that has a stroke of 4.16" are going faster at 3000 RPM's? Obivously the truck with longer stroke is going to have a much higher piston velocity than the GS-R, hence the GS-R will have have less wear at 3000 RPMS than the truck.

Honda was orginally a motorcycle company, motorcycles have EXTREMELY high RPMS because of a tiny stroke. When Honda started making cars, they applied the same theory to their car engines, of course more torque is needed, so a longer stroke than a motorcycle engine is needed (longer stroke gives you more torque while larger bores generally give more Horse power, GENERALLY). But Honda engines have always had very small strokes compares to most, specially domestic cars, hence the reason Honda's are known for not having much torque.

So getting back to the ware issue; since the piston velocity is slowwer at the same RPM's, Honda can generally take a higher RPMS than most cars, without having a problem. Going 4-5k is like going 3.5 to 4 in most American cars, you won't hurt it those ranges. Hitting the redline daily still is not a good idea though.

That being said, there is another VERY important issue to wear and tear, you engine oil. If you have recently changed the oil, you will cause less wear than if you are at the end of the oils useful life. I can make some reccomendations as to what you should and should not do, and the best oils to use, but that's a different post But just remember that your engine is better proteced after an oil change rather than after say 7,500 miles.
what could some ill effects of redlining every day be? just wanted to know.
Old 10-18-2005
My SL65 rim, because a rim is all I can afford

Jrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to all
Originally Posted by mandangalo
what could some ill effects of redlining every day be? just wanted to know.

same as any other car. Hitting your redline everyday will shorten the life of your engine. By how much is hard to say, for instance if you change the oil properly, use good oil and do all the other proper maintance, you may not kill you engine all that much. But the frictional ware increases with speed, infact I think it's squared... Anyway, hitting the redline daily is not good for the life of the engine. The bigger issue is that your tranny will probably fail way before your engine though.
Old 10-18-2005
Registered!!

familycar is a name known to allfamilycar is a name known to allfamilycar is a name known to allfamilycar is a name known to allfamilycar is a name known to allfamilycar is a name known to allfamilycar is a name known to allfamilycar is a name known to all
same as any other car. Hitting your redline everyday will shorten the life of your engine. By how much is hard to say, for instance if you change the oil properly, use good oil and do all the other proper maintance, you may not kill you engine all that much. But the frictional ware increases with speed, infact I think it's squared... Anyway, hitting the redline daily is not good for the life of the engine. The bigger issue is that your tranny will probably fail way before your engine though.
this is true. i have owned 2 hondas. and both i love to wind out. as a matter of fact they both have seen redline almost daily. they only problem i have ever had with either is tranny issues. in fact the way car manufacturers design motors you should be able to run the car on its rev limiter for quite some time before ever causing damage. that is why they put a limiter. they are limiting the rpms from being at a dangerous point. i am an avid oil change guy and always use mobil1 synthetic and change every 3k. i will admit i am not easy on my cars by any means but at the same time have never been in any kind of situation caused by my abuse.
Old 10-18-2005
Registered!!

familycar is a name known to allfamilycar is a name known to allfamilycar is a name known to allfamilycar is a name known to allfamilycar is a name known to allfamilycar is a name known to allfamilycar is a name known to allfamilycar is a name known to all
oh yeah 87 crx with on new motor 134k all by me and 01 civic 65k both run great to this day, i sold the crx to a friend and he ended up delivering pizza's with it. he still has it and it still runs strong. as long as you rgularly chnge the fluids and stay on top of maintainance they will take quite a bit of abuse.
Old 10-18-2005
Drunken Master-7thgen Ninja

MajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to behold
i do it all the time also. 5th gear, 80 mph at 3800 rpms. not 4k. but it is close. you should have no probs as long as the motor is not cold right off the bat. and i still get 40 mpg so its not that big of a deal. once you hit 4.5 k and around that area in any gear, it sucks gas like crazy. but 20mpg is still ok lol. i still laugh at SUVS
Old 10-18-2005
Registered!!

zen_master is on a distinguished road
well. i drive at 75~80mph for hours and hours during long trip...lo l
Old 10-19-2005
Registered!!

i actually took a trip to vegas its a bout a 4hr drive from where i live and i made it there in 3.5hrs averaging about 90 the whole way and got 42mpg. it usually take sabout 4 hrs + to get there but traffic was clear so i was on it!
Old 10-19-2005
Drunken Master-7thgen Ninja

MajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by familycar
i actually took a trip to vegas its a bout a 4hr drive from where i live and i made it there in 3.5hrs averaging about 90 the whole way and got 42mpg. it usually take sabout 4 hrs + to get there but traffic was clear so i was on it!
yeah im gonna head to florida in like 2 weeks in the vic with my gf for a week. im gonna be driving for like 7 hours, its gonna be sooooo sweet! i love driving. i wonder if i could make it to disney from atlanta on one tank of gas. ill tell ya how it goes
Old 10-20-2005
Registered!!

spudracer326 is an unknown quantity at this point

Its not hitting redline that is bad it is bouncing off the rev limiter that is bad. do a search and youll find a whole lot of posts on this subject. Granted it is harder on your engine, it isnt enough to cause damage. Bouuncing off the rev limiter will though.
Old 10-20-2005
jdmtytedoridori

Originally Posted by spudracer326
Its not hitting redline that is bad it is bouncing off the rev limiter that is bad. do a search and youll find a whole lot of posts on this subject. Granted it is harder on your engine, it isnt enough to cause damage. Bouuncing off the rev limiter will though.
can you possibly give us a link to other threads?