Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

2003 Civic LX - extremely low miles - potential timing belt issues ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2016
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
over45 is an unknown quantity at this point
2003 Civic LX - extremely low miles - potential timing belt issues ?

Hi-

New here and have the opportunity to buy a 2003 Civic LX with extremely low miles: 22,000. It was driven only 95 miles last year by an elderly gentleman and always maintained. I asked the dealership about a timing belt and they said that suggested it get replaced because they can develop dry rot over time. Is that a real concern or are they just looking for work? I understand that issues can develop if a car has been sitting. Just trying to learn what I may be getting into.

It also has a defective drivers door lock. Dealership wants $388 to replace it. Anyone done this themselves?

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-17-2016
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of
Re: 2003 Civic LX - extremely low miles - potential timing belt issues ?

Originally Posted by over45
Hi-

New here and have the opportunity to buy a 2003 Civic LX with extremely low miles: 22,000. It was driven only 95 miles last year by an elderly gentleman and always maintained. I asked the dealership about a timing belt and they said that suggested it get replaced because they can develop dry rot over time. Is that a real concern or are they just looking for work? I understand that issues can develop if a car has been sitting. Just trying to learn what I may be getting into.

It also has a defective drivers door lock. Dealership wants $388 to replace it. Anyone done this themselves?

Thanks in advance.
Was it garaged it's entire life? Climate car was in? There are several factors to consider so read some of these: https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q...g+belt+dry+rot

Door lock issue is most likely the accuator. Pretty easy DIY repair. Maybe, go with a trusted local mechanic instead of dealer.
Old 03-17-2016
Registered!!

I believe the car was garaged most of the time. southern car - NC.

The car does have automatic locks but not remote opening with a key fob. Is the actuator part of the system that auto locks the doors from inside? I think it works when you hit the main lock switch to lock all of the doors from the drivers side panel... Didn't even consider the actuator as it wasn't even mentioned by the dealership. Tks for the reply.
Old 03-17-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

I asked the dealership about a timing belt and they said that suggested it get replaced because they can develop dry rot over time. Is that a real concern or are they just looking for work?
Very real concern, and nobody can see the timing belt without a lot of work.
The owners manual will clearly state the replacement interval is 7 years or 100 somethingthousand miles (100 or 105k), whichever comes first.
And the engine will bend valves if the timing belt lets go.

It also has a defective drivers door lock.
Which part has a problem? What is the problem or complaint?

Door lock cylinder-(typical, key binds and won't turn)
Door latch
Power lock actuator (can be purchased separately from the latch)
Old 03-18-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
kellogg6316 is an unknown quantity at this point

even , taking off cover and looking at it won't tell you if it is going to break. Get it done immediately. If you have a knowledgeable friend it is possible for DIYer to do this job. just make sure you have everything at TDC when you put it back together.
Old 03-18-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Scout1 will become famous soon enoughScout1 will become famous soon enough

Hi-

Thanks in advance.
I bought a 2001 civic a few years ago that was the same story. It only had 12K on it. I drove it for a year or two and read that the belt should be changed after I thought 7 years. When I changed it, it was original belt but it looked brand new. No cracks or wear anywhere. Anyway piece of mind knowing it was changed but I did it myself. Only has 58K on it now.
Old 03-18-2016
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Scout1
I bought a 2001 civic a few years ago that was the same story. It only had 12K on it. I drove it for a year or two and read that the belt should be changed after I thought 7 years. When I changed it, it was original belt but it looked brand new. No cracks or wear anywhere. Anyway piece of mind knowing it was changed but I did it myself. Only has 58K on it now.
how do you know it was the original belt?
Old 03-19-2016
Registered!!

I bought the car and will get the timing belt done. From what I've read here and elsewhere, my lock issue is likely the cylinder which I am going to work on. Tks for all the replies.
Old 03-19-2016

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

I bought the car and will get the timing belt done. From what I've read here and elsewhere, my lock issue is likely the cylinder which I am going to work on. Tks for all the replies.
Most of the time these just need new tumbler wafers......Your Honda dealer should have the kit with the selection of tumblers.
Or you could take it all apart and remove the offending tumbler(s)....with the caveat that there will be more to follow in the future.

Sometimes they need a cylinder slug, and the kit mentioned above is supposed to have a few of the empty slugs in it.

If your key is severely worn, that's another problem. That can cause a freshly rebuilt lock to jam up and damage the new tumblers.

Our local locksmith shops don't have anything for Hondas sidewinder keys and locks, and can't cut or program our keys. Call your local locksmith and inquire?
Old 03-20-2016
Registered!!

i ordered an oem lock cylinder... been watching youtube videos on this and only want to do it once. tks for the reply.
Old 03-20-2016

i ordered an oem lock cylinder... been watching youtube videos on this and only want to do it once. tks for the reply.
Even with this I would still offer a customer the choice of retumbling the cylinder to work with the original key pattern (as long as the key is not worn out).

This way there is no need for multiple keys to get in the car and start it.
Old 03-21-2016
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
Even with this I would still offer a customer the choice of retumbling the cylinder to work with the original key pattern (as long as the key is not worn out).

This way there is no need for multiple keys to get in the car and start it.

I wonder if the trunk key cylinder would fit the front door. That way you could use the same key now and the trunk would have a different key... looks like the trunk cylinder is fairly accessible...
Old 03-21-2016

Trunk cylinder would be slightly different, it won't fit in the door so you can't just stuff it in there....... and the tumblers might have one different from the door because of the valet key, the valet key is not supposed to work in the trunk lock (I've never actually compared these so I'm guessing it uses an odd tumbler).

You could pull it and swap all of the matching tumblers to repair the door lock though. (each tumbler wafer is numbered)